Sep 3, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
With the Pirates on a 109-loss pace in their 18th straight losing season and team president Frank Coonelly venting his frustration by saying things like “losing stinks” during an online chat with fans, it’s no surprise that general manager Neal Huntington and manager John Russell are on the hot seat.
Bob Nightengale of USA Today followed up with Coonelly, asking him about the job security of Huntington and Russell, and got this response:
I have been extremely disappointed in the team’s performance. We are evaluating every aspect of our operation in order to determine how we can get the club moving in the right direction immediately.
While we have made tremendous progress executing a sound plan to overhaul a broken system and return this once-proud franchise to its tradition of winning baseball, we have only one benchmark by which we measure ourselves and that is wins and losses at the major league level. By that benchmark, we have badly underachieved.
Not exactly a vote of confidence.
I tend to think the Pirates have a brighter future than their current record suggests because they’ve broken in a pretty promising trio of young players this season in Pedro Alvarez, Jose Tabata, and Neil Walker, who along with 23-year-old Andrew McCutchen gives the lineup some nice building blocks.
Pitching is another story and obviously they’re a long way from contending for anything but a .500 record, but I do think they’re on the right track. Still, at the end of the day Russell has a ghastly .379 winning percentage in three seasons on the job and Huntington has been in the charge of the Pirates’ latest rebuilding effort since September of 2007, so it’s tough to blame Coonelly for losing patience.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)