Jeff Wilpon visits Wally Backman

Sep 3, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

As Jerry Manuel continues to wonder what he’ll be doing next spring, Andy Martino of the Daily News reports that Jeff Wilpon — who, every time I think of him and his father, I think of these guys — went to a Brooklyn Cyclones game last night and met with Wally Backman in private.

Martino says Wilpon denies that they were talking about the Mets managerial job. Perhaps Backman sold Wilpon something on Craigslist, and this was merely the pickup. Who knows?

Whatever the case, I’d guess that the Mets’ job will be the biggest topic of the early offseason, though. To review, a lot of people who know the Mets think that Bob Melvin is the Wilpon’s favorite. A lot of people still think Bobby V. is the man.  Backman has his backers.

1. SadPandaRevolt - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

“Personally I think they should go with a managerial platoon with Backman handling home games and Tim Teufel taking the road games, but no one ever listens to my ideas.”
    That would be glorious.

2. Simon DelMonte - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Wouldn’t it be a platoon based on whether the other team’s manager is a lefty or a righty? Either way, you bring back some very happy 1986 memories for me.
    Which is not to say that the Mets should hire Backman to manage them just to bring back more ’86 memories. By that logic, Howard Johnson should stick around longer, and even if the batting coach doesn’t make a lot of difference, it’s hard to see that he’s doing any good either.
    Gotta say, if the choice is ’86 nostalgia, Bobby V nostalgia and Bob Melvin, I go with Backman because he’s new and might have a promising future. But none of these thrill me, and Melvin would be only marginally better than Manuel, IMO. (I like Bobby V a lot, but I don’t see bringing him back as the smartest move.)

3. murd - Sep 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

“Let’s go have a beer Doc, uh, Wilpon”

4. David W - Sep 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

No one can be worse than current Mets Manager, so put all names in a hat and pick.

5. Kevin S. - Sep 3, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It’s not gonna make a difference until the team has new ownership.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4988)