Sep 3, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
As Jerry Manuel continues to wonder what he’ll be doing next spring, Andy Martino of the Daily News reports that Jeff Wilpon — who, every time I think of him and his father, I think of these guys — went to a Brooklyn Cyclones game last night and met with Wally Backman in private.
Martino says Wilpon denies that they were talking about the Mets managerial job. Perhaps Backman sold Wilpon something on Craigslist, and this was merely the pickup. Who knows?
Whatever the case, I’d guess that the Mets’ job will be the biggest topic of the early offseason, though. To review, a lot of people who know the Mets think that Bob Melvin is the Wilpon’s favorite. A lot of people still think Bobby V. is the man. Backman has his backers.
Personally I think they should go with a managerial platoon with Backman handling home games and Tim Teufel taking the road games, but no one ever listens to my ideas.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 3
- The beauty of belief 33
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 40
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 74
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)