Jerry Manuel wants to know if he's coming back

Sep 3, 2010, 9:09 AM EDT

I missed this yesterday — Manny and Francoeur obsessions make you blind to any number of things — but apparently Jerry Manuel “would love to know” whether the Mets plan on bringing him back next season.  He’s not going to ask now, however, because he doesn’t want to become a distraction.

Show of hands America: who besides Jerry Manuel believes that the Mets haven’t already decided not to renew his contract for next year?  Let me count: 1 . . . 2.

Oh, sorry. That was Jerry’s mom raising her hands. And she doesn’t think her son is keeping his job. She was just stretching.

1. BC - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM

They’re not going to tell him he’s not coming back or fire him right now. If they’re going to can both him and Minaya, why can Manuel first and then Minaya. And Minaya won’t fire him if he senses he himself is going to get canned. They’ll both go at the end of the year.
    I hope.
    Please.
    Pretty please.
    Mommy.

2. Jonny5 - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I think he’s lucky to still have a job. I think that he just makes what Minaya has done look much worse than it is. The team has a chemistry problem. Wayyyy more than a talent problem imo.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM

As a Phillies fan, I feel as though the Mutts should give Minaya an extension, and allow him to give Manuel a 3-year $5 million extension. Why not? They only won 70 games last year, and with 68 this year, they are bound to improve on that total, right? I mean…give the guy a chance. If they win 80 this year, they are due to win 92 next year if they keep up that pace.

4. Dan in Katonah - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Please leave quietly Jerry and Omar. No excuses or explanations. Just leave.
    Of course with our luck, the Wilpons will discover that NCAA rules say nothing about Isiah holding a position in baseball while nailing cheerleaders at FIU.
    ISIAH FOR GM IN ’11!!! Wake me when this is over…

5. YANKEES1996 - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I am truly surprised that he is still employed. I cannot see a way that he and Omar survive the axe this offseason, but stranger things have happened.

6. John_Michael - Sep 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM

If you have to ask in the first place, the outlook isn’t good.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3393)