Manny Ramirez apologizes for behavior in Boston

Sep 3, 2010, 7:45 PM EST

Returning to Boston for the second time since being traded from the Red Sox to the Dodgers during the 2008 season, Manny Ramirez said Friday that he was to blame for the turn of events that led to his departure from the team he helped lead to two World Series titles.
As he told ESPNBoston.com:

I think everything was my fault. But, hey, you’ve got to be a real man to realize when you do wrong. Hey, it was my fault. I’m already past that stage and I’m happy with my new team.

Ramirez, who declined to speak to reporters when he played in Fenway as a Dodger in June 2009, said he apologized to Kevin Youkilis in his last stop in Boston. The two players fought in the dugout prior to the trade that sent Ramirez to the Dodgers two years ago.

When I went to first base and saw Youkilis, I said, ‘Hey, what happened between you and me, I’m sorry. That’s my fault.’ So it takes a real man just to go and tell a person it was my fault. That’s what I did.

Far more talkative than usual, Ramirez also said today that he would have been willing to waive his no-trade clause to return to Boston had the Red Sox, rather than the White Sox, claimed him off waivers last month and that he’s not sure whether he’ll be back to play in 2011.

1. Glenn - Sep 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Wow, I have been hating Manny since he forced his trade to the Dodgers – but I haven’t enjoyed it. I loved the Manny Show in Boston and was able to forgive his transgressions up until the Dodger thing. Call me a sucker, but it seems incredible that he would admit that the whole thing was his fault. It was too much fun to watch him in his prime to just ditch it all and I’m glad to have an excuse to forgive.
    I took my little girls to Fenway after 2004 because they fell in love with that team and Manny in particular. In the middle of the game they were yelling to him in left in their little girl voices and he looked up and waved to them sheepishly with his glove. Hard to hate that guy (though easy to hate the guy being an a-hole and pushing around old men.

2. bbeer - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Manny, you shouldn’t have to tell everyone how much of a real man you are. Just act like it in the first place.

3. micker716 - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Did he need a translator to relay his remarks in English?

4. Pisano - Sep 4, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Don’t fall for his line of crap . He’s a lazy scumbag that hopefully will be out of the game soon. What he did to the Sox fans and his teammates IS unforgivable . Manny the Moron is truley a low life . If you want off of a team , you ask to be traded , you don’t do the things this asshole did to his teammates , and the fans who pay this jerk- off’s salary . I hope he retires soon , or better yet no team signs him like none would sign that other malcontent Gary Sheffield .

5. Buccofan - Sep 4, 2010 at 1:42 AM

I was taught that it’s better to not screw up than to screw up and apologize. An apology doesn’t square things or undo the damage. I’m not saying I’ve ever totally learned that lesson, but it’s what I was taught.

6. Old Gator - Sep 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Matthew, a wee clarification here. You write that Manny has returned to Boston for the first time since 2008, then you write that he played there with the Bums in 2009. Did he send his astral self?

7. Old Gator - Sep 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Erk. Second time. Never mind. I’ve had two Diet Cokes tonight. I need to lay off that stuff.

8. Paper Lions - Sep 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I agree completely. If Manny hadn’t carried the Sox (and their fans) to two WS championships, then Red Sox fans wouldn’t have turned into a bunch of giant asshats. For that, Manny should apologize not only to Sox fans, but also to everyone that regularly has to interact with them.
    BTW, Manny’s work ethic is well documented. So calling him lazy kills your credibility and makes you look like you willing to cling to stereotypes (which you probably do).

9. Paper Lions - Sep 4, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Everybody screws up. Everybody. A few people admit their mistakes, and even fewer learn from them. Most people just go through life denying their mistakes, repeating them over and over, and learning nothing.

10. Old Gator - Sep 4, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Okay, clean and sober this morning. I took a shower and avoided the Diet Coke.
    Is it possible that Youkilis was actually injured by Manny’s apology back in June, and then played hurt for a couple of months, studmuffin that he is, until it got really bad? I don’t quite buy the report that he hurt himself falling backwards in fright when a bedsheet slipped off one of his mirrors.

11. myonecentdoubled - Sep 4, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Typical Manny! What selfish apologies! It appears that he apologized so that he can say what a big man he is.

12. Pisano - Sep 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM

You sound a ignorant as Manny , but remember he was one of twenty five good players that came together to win that series . In case you have a hard time with spelling , team is not spelled with an I in it , as Manny believes , and it also sounds like you would spell it .

13. TominNH - Sep 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM