Nyjer Morgan continues to own the heel role

Sep 3, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT

The job of whoever is assigned to defend Nyjer Morgan at his disciplinary appeal just got a bit harder.

“I knocked down the catcher, I took my dose and everybody is blowing it
way out of proportion, which I don’t understand. I guess baseball isn’t
used to seeing this anymore — good old-fashioned hard-nose baseball.”

A less-than repentant Nyjer Morgan, talking about the battle royale he set off with the Marlins the other night with MLB.com’s Bill Ladson.

As I sit and wonder what is “hard-nose baseball” about taunting the crowd and raising your arms in victory as you’re escorted off the field following you getting your ass kicked, I can’t help but assume Morgan’s stance here isn’t going to get him any leniency when his suspension comes down today.

My guess: ten games.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:50 AM

He let his emotions get the best of him on the way off the field, but everything else he did I have absolutely no problem with. The Marlins catcher was standing on the freaking plate when he got crushed. And the Marlins HIT HIM WITH A PITCH ALREADY!!! If you don’t like him stealing on you, then throw his ass out or STFU and move on. The Marlins are to blame for as much of this as Morgan. If he gets 10 games, Sanchez and Volstad have to get 10 as well. And give Wes Helms 5 for being a complete moron.

2. Matt S. - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Is that 10 plus the 7 he’s already appealing?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I think so. I think they give him ten just for the other night. Just a hunch.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

10 would be a travesty. And MLB better reverse the other suspension, because one thing I have noticed the last few Phillies games is that guys aren’t throwing the ball into the stands anymore. A couple weeks ago, it was more noticeable that every inning-ending out to the outfield would result in a ball being thrown into the stands. Since this suspension, I haven’t seen it as much, least not with the Phillies games. Maybe it was me seeing things.

5. Dan in Katonah - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM

The guy seems like a volatile blow-hard, but stealing 2nd and 3rd after being deliberately hit seems like the best revenge. Throwing behind him for that (regardless of score) is just stupid. I think this shows that we are attributing a level of intelligence to these over-paid prima donnas (players and managers alike) that is undeserved. They all can’t be geniuses like TLR (*cough* *gag* “Isn’t that light green enough for you, Tony?”)

6. BC - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I didn’t see anything wrong with him stealing the bases. The Marlins started the brawl by having Volstad throw behind him. He doesn’t do that, and there’s no brawl. My take: give Morgan another 5, give Volstad 5. Maybe give the Marlins’ first baseman something for that beautiful head shot. That’s probably about it.

7. Utley's hair - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Suspend him 3 or 4 for the other night–due to his charging the mound, the fight and his actions as he was led off the field–but add in the 7 from before. Also add in another 5 for punitive damages for his overall body of work and his general attitude as exemplified above.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I don’t see Volstad as having started the brawl. He baited Morgan, but Nyjer doesn’t have to take the bait, which he did, which then started the brawl. I say Volstad should get 2 games–but they would be two statrs, not 2 games. He should miss 2 starts, which would equate to 10 days. Morgan needs to be taken to task for rushing the mound–the damn pitch behind him was nowhere near him. He should also be fined for that pathetic attempt at a punch…maybe give the fine money to Sanchez’s favorite charity as a reward for the clothesline.

9. El Bravo - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:27 AM

You can’t suspend a guy simply for being a douchnozzle or else lots of players would be sitting. Nyjer really is a douchenozzle but the catcher train-wreck, I think, is blown out of proportion. There is also nothing wrong with stealing bags up a bunch of runs (look at the final score of that game). The only transgressions that should cost him time are when he jaws at the crowd and throws balls at them (which is also a bit blown out of proportion according to some accounts). He will get a longer suspension I bet (7+ games), but it will be b/c he’s a douche and the league will lay down what I believe will be an all too heavy hand.

10. Gobias Industries - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Can’t you please go one comment without calling some dude a “douchnozzle”?

11. BC - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

But they had just plunked him. This was a second time they threw at or behind him. Anyone would have rushed the mound. Well, maybe not Jeter. But 95% of players would have.

12. Spudchukar - Sep 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I say tell him he can start over next year. Let’s not forget the bush league hit on the Cardinal catcher. At some point the sum is greater than the parts. There was no compelling reason for hitting a catcher out of the basepath with his back turned to you. His teammates need to usher him back to the plate, that he forgot to touch. Real team oriented action. His manager tried to diffuse the event the best he could, but even his support was tepid. So the events that have followed must be taken in context. Sure the Marlins misbehaved too, but that does not excuse his prior behavior. The Cardinals chose not to make a big deal out of it, but the league should still send a message that blind cheap shots will not be tolerated. His subsequent actions hardly exemplify any remorse. And contrition is what this incident calls for.

13. murd - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I like douchenozzle, keep it coming.

14. murd - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I’m not picking a fight, did that enough yesterday. I was just thinking about your suggestion that Sanchez get suspended. Do you (or the league I guess, since they make discipline decisions) see that as unnecessarily getting involved in a fight, maybe taking it to the next level? If so, then they probably suspend him. Or do you guys (again, or the league) see it as just trying to protect his pitcher. I don’t have an opinion one way or another yet, just curious as to what you guys think.

15. Utley's hair - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

If it was closer to him, maybe, but it was way outside. And if baseball wants to send a message about that kind of stuff, this is a prime opportunity.

16. janderson - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I have to give Morgan credit for distracting everyone away from the fact that he has been a downright awful baseball player this season. He has hit out of the lead off spot most of the season, but has one of the worst on base percentages in baseball. He is supposed to be a base stealer, yet he has been thrown out more times than just about anyone in baseball. He covers a lot of ground in center, but consistently makes bonehead mistakes like missing the cut off or throwing to the wrong base. This doesn’t even cover things like getting doubled off base on routine fly balls, not running out a ball that he thinks is foul that ends up landing 15 feet into fair territory – and the list goes on. While he probably deserves 5-10 (because the Marlins did unnecessarily instigate the brawl), maybe MLB will take pity on the Nats and sit him down for the duration. He can then go commisserate with Elijah Dukes.

17. Jonny5 - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I’m just thoroughly entertained by all of it. I say MLB needs at least a couple of fights a year just as fill in entertainment. I don’t care if he gets 1 or 20 games of for his actions, it’s not as if it’ll keep the gnats out of the playoff race or anything. I’m still trying to figure out though if this made me Like Nyjer Morgan more, or less…?

18. YANKEES1996 - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I really have no problem with Morgan playing the game hard that is the way your supposed to play. Out of everything he has done, him running over the Cardinals catcher was the worst. There was just no reason for it. The incident with him running into the Marlins catcher was just stupid baseball he had the plate all he had to do was slide in. The charging the mound thing I completely agree with, he had been hit by a pitch and several of his teammates had been hit and then he had the pitch thrown behind him. As a player how long do you put up with that kind of crap?, he stole 2 bases and you have team wide retaliation going on for it. Don’t like him stealing the bases get over it, it is part of the game. I think a 2 game suspension is more than enough if the Nationals decide to punish him then that is their business but I don’t think you should punish the guy for playing hard.

19. Sumerduckman - Sep 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Yea man, you nailed the real problem. Bernadina or Maxwell is a much better choice in center for the Nats. Just about as fast as Morgan, but better arms and much more stable in the all important mental health department.
    If MLB doesn’t sit him, Mr. Riggleman should staple his backside to the pine for the duration.

20. Drakos - Sep 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

If a ball goes flying behind you it’s pretty hard to tell how far behind you it is. If you’ve already hit a guy once and then you throw at him again you pretty much have to expect him to charge the mound.

21. El Bravo - Sep 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Suck it, douchenozzle. Note: I spelled it wrong earlier. I’m glad you’re reading my posts, makes me feel warm and fuzzy, douchenozzle.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3290)