Sep 3, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Joe Maddon received his honorary “doctor of letters” degree from Lafayette College yesterday, meaning the Rays’ manager is officially now a doctor.
Mark Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times notes that approximately 200 people attended the ceremony at the college Maddon dropped out of 35 years ago. Or as he joked: “I was on the 38-year-old plan.”
Best of all he wore one of those ridiculous-looking “BRaysers” that the Rays have been sporting lately, although unfortunately he’d changed back into a less hilarious jacket by the time that photo was snapped.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 47
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 35
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 52
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)