The luckiest fan in St. Petersburg

Sep 3, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

More weird quasi-baseball stuff as absolutely nothing continues to happen in baseball this afternoon.

Rays fan Amelia Lamoscatella caught a Ben Zobrist foul ball off her face on Wednesday night. She was OK, and someone retrieved the ball for her. During the same at bat, Zobrist fouled another one to her, which she caught. Next batter: Carl Crawford, who fouled a ball to, yep, you guessed it, the same lady.

How lucky!

Well, the part in which she got smacked in the face by the first foul ball wasn’t so lucky, but still. I’ve been going to baseball games since the Carter Administration, and I’ve never snagged a ball.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM

That’s probably because she was the only person seated in the section!!!

2. Scott - Sep 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM

St. Petereburg? Is that anywhere near Tumpa Bay?

3. El Bravo - Sep 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Will a stat geek (Fiorentino?) give me the probability of this occurrence (snagging 3 balls in one game)? Also please determine the probability of attending – let’s say 30 games per year – since the Carter administration and not getting one ball? Assumptions on field size and capicity are allowed for this exercise. Please leave your findings on my desk for Monday morning review. Thanks in advance.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Richie Ashburn once hit a foul ball into a womans face. While she was being placed on a stretcher to be taken out, the at bat resumed, so he fouled another one off her. Who hit their own Mother? It happened this season.

5. jde - Sep 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Might be time to change your name. You’re now despised both here and on Poz’s blog. Or you could just, you know, go away.

6. nfieldr - Sep 3, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Back in the 90s, I caught two foul balls during the same at bat. I was in Sec 216 at Oakland Coliseum and the batter was Luis Rivera of the Red Sox. Best part… there were four of my friends from work sitting in the next section over who saw it and verified it for me the next day at the office. I had great seats in Oakland. I caught six foul balls during my four years there.

7. scatterbrian - Sep 3, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I think it’s been decreed by the Lords of the Internet that every site that accepts comments must have at least one douchebag troll.

8. The Rabbit - Sep 3, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Denard Span hit his mom with a foul ball before the start of the season.

9. El Bravo - Sep 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Nah, let’s keep you the way your are so I can spot you a mile off and take an alternate route.

10. APBA Guy - Sep 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I’ve been to the Mausoleum a million times and never come close. Do you play the lottery?

11. nfieldr - Sep 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM

Haven’t been to the Coliseum since we moved back early 90s, so I haven’t seen the Al Davis makeover. It justa be that sections 215 and 216 were great foul ball seats. We had two 20 game packages back in the day, so I went to about 35 – 40 games per year during the five seasons that we lived there. Oh, and by the way, yes I do play the lottery. I won $200,000 in Powerball in 2007. I had all 5 of the white balls.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3312)