Sep 3, 2010, 8:47 AM EDT
I know Jeter is having a bad year at the plate. I looked at his stat line as recently as yesterday. Still, seeing his season characterized thusly is the kind of thing that makes your brain seize up and your jaw go slack:
let the record show that on Sept. 2, 2010 Yuniesky Betancourt (95 OPS+) had a higher OPS+ than Derek Jeter (94 OPS+)
That comes in Joe Posnanski’s latest musing on Jeter and his contract status. It’s still too early for me to really think hard about that status because I think the conversation about the kind of deal he gets from the Yankees will have a totally different tone if New York repeats as champions than it would have if, say, they get knocked out in the ALDS or something. We’ll have plenty of time for that this fall and winter, believe me.
But yeah, that Betancourt thing has pretty much wrecked me for the rest of the morning.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)