Sep 4, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez and Andy Pettitte participated in a simulated game this morning, according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger.
With Reggie Jackson calling balls and strikes and Yankees manager Joe Girardi observing, Pettitte threw 50 pitches over three simulated innings against A-Rod, Greg Golson and Ramiro Pena. He reported no problems with left groin.
“It felt better each inning I went out there,” Pettitte said. “I felt
like the last inning I turned it up pretty good and wasn’t worrying
about anything at all.”
The veteran left-hander hopes to throw a bullpen session Monday before facing live hitters Wednesday, either in the form of another simulated game or in the minor leagues. Barring any setbacks, he still has enough time to make a couple starts before the end of the regular season.
As for Rodriguez, in addition to facing Pettitte, he participated in batting practice, took grounders and ran the bases.
“I feel good,” he said. “It was an encouraging day. No setbacks.”
He declined to say whether he would be activated from the disabled list when he is eligible tomorrow, but all signs are pointing in that direction. Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since August 21 due to a left calf strain.
For all the problems the Yankees have had with their rotation lately, things are looking pretty good for the Yankees right now. They enter play Saturday with a seven-game winning streak and lead the Rays by 1 1/2 games in the American League East.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 0
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 86
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)