Sep 4, 2010, 2:01 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez and Andy Pettitte participated in a simulated game this morning, according to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger.
With Reggie Jackson calling balls and strikes and Yankees manager Joe Girardi observing, Pettitte threw 50 pitches over three simulated innings against A-Rod, Greg Golson and Ramiro Pena. He reported no problems with left groin.
“It felt better each inning I went out there,” Pettitte said. “I felt
like the last inning I turned it up pretty good and wasn’t worrying
about anything at all.”
The veteran left-hander hopes to throw a bullpen session Monday before facing live hitters Wednesday, either in the form of another simulated game or in the minor leagues. Barring any setbacks, he still has enough time to make a couple starts before the end of the regular season.
As for Rodriguez, in addition to facing Pettitte, he participated in batting practice, took grounders and ran the bases.
“I feel good,” he said. “It was an encouraging day. No setbacks.”
He declined to say whether he would be activated from the disabled list when he is eligible tomorrow, but all signs are pointing in that direction. Rodriguez has been on the disabled list since August 21 due to a left calf strain.
For all the problems the Yankees have had with their rotation lately, things are looking pretty good for the Yankees right now. They enter play Saturday with a seven-game winning streak and lead the Rays by 1 1/2 games in the American League East.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 26
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 84
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 15
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)