Sep 4, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT
Brandon Webb threw his second simulated game Friday, but according to what he told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, it didn’t go quite as smoothly as his first session against live hitters last Saturday.
“It wasn’t as good as it was the last time,” Webb said. “I was as wild
as I’ve ever been. I had no clue where it was going. I was a little
disappointed because I felt like it went pretty good last time.”
After throwing 52 pitches last Saturday, Friday’s session was cut short after just 35 pitches. Webb said the poor command was a result of a change of mechanics in an attempt to help improve his arm speed. The former 2006 NL Cy Young award winner is only reaching the low-80s on the radar gun at the moment. He’s hoping he can get by in the mid-80s as a reliever down the stretch.
Webb, 31, will be a free agent after the season. This week, his agent Jonathan Maurer said his client was looking for a deal similar to what Brad Penny, Rich Harden, Ben Sheets and Tim Hudson received over the winter. Good luck with that one. Unless he makes rapid progress, he’s probably looking at an incentive-laden deal similar to the one Erik Bedard signed with the Mariners.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)