Sep 4, 2010, 11:34 AM EDT
Brandon Webb threw his second simulated game Friday, but according to what he told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, it didn’t go quite as smoothly as his first session against live hitters last Saturday.
“It wasn’t as good as it was the last time,” Webb said. “I was as wild
as I’ve ever been. I had no clue where it was going. I was a little
disappointed because I felt like it went pretty good last time.”
After throwing 52 pitches last Saturday, Friday’s session was cut short after just 35 pitches. Webb said the poor command was a result of a change of mechanics in an attempt to help improve his arm speed. The former 2006 NL Cy Young award winner is only reaching the low-80s on the radar gun at the moment. He’s hoping he can get by in the mid-80s as a reliever down the stretch.
Webb, 31, will be a free agent after the season. This week, his agent Jonathan Maurer said his client was looking for a deal similar to what Brad Penny, Rich Harden, Ben Sheets and Tim Hudson received over the winter. Good luck with that one. Unless he makes rapid progress, he’s probably looking at an incentive-laden deal similar to the one Erik Bedard signed with the Mariners.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)