Sep 4, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers called off Cliff Lee’s bullpen session after he felt some discomfort in his back while throwing off flat ground.
He’ll play catch again Sunday with the intention of throwing a bullpen session. There’s still a chance he’ll pitch Tuesday, but it doesn’t sound likely, at least according to what Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said.
2:57 PM: Cliff Lee skipped a scheduled bullpen session Saturday, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
Lee was able to play catch on flat ground under the supervision of Rangers trainer Jamie Reed, but obviously something wasn’t quite right. The left-hander he received an injection for lower back stiffness earlier this week and admitted Friday that his back has been bothering him for “a couple of weeks.”
Gee, really? Lee posted an outstanding 2.63 ERA through his first six starts as a member of the Rangers, but has an 8.28 ERA over his last five outings and has failed to complete six innings in each of his last three.
According to Sullivan, Lee may try to throw again tomorrow, however Rich Harden will likely replace him if he is unable to start Tuesday.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 76
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)