Sep 4, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers called off Cliff Lee’s bullpen session after he felt some discomfort in his back while throwing off flat ground.
He’ll play catch again Sunday with the intention of throwing a bullpen session. There’s still a chance he’ll pitch Tuesday, but it doesn’t sound likely, at least according to what Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said.
2:57 PM: Cliff Lee skipped a scheduled bullpen session Saturday, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
Lee was able to play catch on flat ground under the supervision of Rangers trainer Jamie Reed, but obviously something wasn’t quite right. The left-hander he received an injection for lower back stiffness earlier this week and admitted Friday that his back has been bothering him for “a couple of weeks.”
Gee, really? Lee posted an outstanding 2.63 ERA through his first six starts as a member of the Rangers, but has an 8.28 ERA over his last five outings and has failed to complete six innings in each of his last three.
According to Sullivan, Lee may try to throw again tomorrow, however Rich Harden will likely replace him if he is unable to start Tuesday.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)