Sep 4, 2010, 4:41 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Rangers called off Cliff Lee’s bullpen session after he felt some discomfort in his back while throwing off flat ground.
He’ll play catch again Sunday with the intention of throwing a bullpen session. There’s still a chance he’ll pitch Tuesday, but it doesn’t sound likely, at least according to what Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said.
2:57 PM: Cliff Lee skipped a scheduled bullpen session Saturday, according to T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
Lee was able to play catch on flat ground under the supervision of Rangers trainer Jamie Reed, but obviously something wasn’t quite right. The left-hander he received an injection for lower back stiffness earlier this week and admitted Friday that his back has been bothering him for “a couple of weeks.”
Gee, really? Lee posted an outstanding 2.63 ERA through his first six starts as a member of the Rangers, but has an 8.28 ERA over his last five outings and has failed to complete six innings in each of his last three.
According to Sullivan, Lee may try to throw again tomorrow, however Rich Harden will likely replace him if he is unable to start Tuesday.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)