Sep 4, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Hard to figure those Cardinals out. They continued their dominance over the first-place Reds with a 3-2 win last night, putting an end to their five-game losing streak. They are now 11-5 against Cincinnati this season, however they have just five wins against teams not named the Reds since August 6. Alas, they are currently seven games back in the NL Central and 5 1/2 games behind the Phillies for the Wild Card.
The odds of the Cardinals making the postseason are still a meager 12.4 percent, according to Baseball Prospectus, but Jamie Garcia is cementing his place for the National League Rookie of the Year award. He allowed two runs over 6 2/3 innings last night, improving to 13-6 on the year. The 24-year-old left-hander currently ranks eighth in the league in wins and sixth with a 2.35 ERA through 26 starts.
Just with my cursory research, I’ve found that Garcia is currently on pace for the lowest ERA by a rookie starting pitcher (at least among those who qualify for the ERA title) since Mark Fidrych led the American League with a 2.34 ERA in 1976. That’s something pretty special.
The National League has a host of outstanding rookies this season, including Buster Posey, Jason Heyward, Starlin Castro, Gaby Sanchez, Jonny Venters and Jon Niese, just to name a few. If they were in the American League, each of them would have a legitimate case to win the hardware. But unless Garcia really stumbles over his last few starts here, he should have this thing locked up.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)