Sep 4, 2010, 8:48 AM EST
The Rays defeated the Orioles 4-1 on Friday night and remain 1 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the American League East and seven games up on the Red Sox in the American League Wild Card. While the playoffs look like a virtual-lock, there was some extra significance to Friday’s win. As Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times points out, Joe Maddon improved to 391-391 (.500) as manager of the Rays.
“Five hundred — that’s like the old days when 70 wins was considered
high. C’mon, give me a break,” Maddon said. “Who want to be .500?”
Maddon was speaking in jest, but consider for a minute that the Rays were 127-197 (.391) over his first two seasons. This includes a 101-loss season in 2006. Since the start of the 2008 season, the Rays are 264-194 (.576) under his watch.
just grown as an organization, talent-wise, depth-wise. It really
speaks to the job the front office has done and the scouting and
development departments. That’s really where this transition’s come
from. I happen to be the manager.”
If the Rays defeat the Orioles tonight, Maddon will have his first winning record as Rays manager since the team was 7-6 over the first 13 games of the 2006 season. It might not happen tonight, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say he’ll get there eventually.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)