Sep 6, 2010, 8:16 PM EDT
Craig has his Jeff Francoeur obsession, so I’m free to blog about Oliver Perez at will. Especially on this rather slow Labor Day, news-wise.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Oliver Perez said earlier today that he is considering pitching for his hometown of Culiacan, Mexico, this winter in the Mexican League.
Perez allowed one run on two hits over two innings against the Nationals earlier this afternoon, striking out three and walking none. It was his second appearance in the past week, but that’s usually a bad sign for the Mets pitching staff.
The erratic southpaw has pitched just 46 innings with the Mets this season, posting a 6.65 ERA and 36/39 K/BB ratio. The bad news? He’s having so much fun being worthless that he has every intention of returning to the Mets for the final year of a three-year, $36 million contract next season.
“I have one more year,” Perez said. “If I’m here, I’m going to do all the best for my team.”
If Perez really intended to “do all the best” for his team, he would have accepted a minor league assignment months ago.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 3
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)