Sep 6, 2010, 8:16 PM EST
Craig has his Jeff Francoeur obsession, so I’m free to blog about Oliver Perez at will. Especially on this rather slow Labor Day, news-wise.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Oliver Perez said earlier today that he is considering pitching for his hometown of Culiacan, Mexico, this winter in the Mexican League.
Perez allowed one run on two hits over two innings against the Nationals earlier this afternoon, striking out three and walking none. It was his second appearance in the past week, but that’s usually a bad sign for the Mets pitching staff.
The erratic southpaw has pitched just 46 innings with the Mets this season, posting a 6.65 ERA and 36/39 K/BB ratio. The bad news? He’s having so much fun being worthless that he has every intention of returning to the Mets for the final year of a three-year, $36 million contract next season.
“I have one more year,” Perez said. “If I’m here, I’m going to do all the best for my team.”
If Perez really intended to “do all the best” for his team, he would have accepted a minor league assignment months ago.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)