Sep 6, 2010, 8:16 PM EDT
Craig has his Jeff Francoeur obsession, so I’m free to blog about Oliver Perez at will. Especially on this rather slow Labor Day, news-wise.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Oliver Perez said earlier today that he is considering pitching for his hometown of Culiacan, Mexico, this winter in the Mexican League.
Perez allowed one run on two hits over two innings against the Nationals earlier this afternoon, striking out three and walking none. It was his second appearance in the past week, but that’s usually a bad sign for the Mets pitching staff.
The erratic southpaw has pitched just 46 innings with the Mets this season, posting a 6.65 ERA and 36/39 K/BB ratio. The bad news? He’s having so much fun being worthless that he has every intention of returning to the Mets for the final year of a three-year, $36 million contract next season.
“I have one more year,” Perez said. “If I’m here, I’m going to do all the best for my team.”
If Perez really intended to “do all the best” for his team, he would have accepted a minor league assignment months ago.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)