Sep 6, 2010, 8:16 PM EDT
Craig has his Jeff Francoeur obsession, so I’m free to blog about Oliver Perez at will. Especially on this rather slow Labor Day, news-wise.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Oliver Perez said earlier today that he is considering pitching for his hometown of Culiacan, Mexico, this winter in the Mexican League.
Perez allowed one run on two hits over two innings against the Nationals earlier this afternoon, striking out three and walking none. It was his second appearance in the past week, but that’s usually a bad sign for the Mets pitching staff.
The erratic southpaw has pitched just 46 innings with the Mets this season, posting a 6.65 ERA and 36/39 K/BB ratio. The bad news? He’s having so much fun being worthless that he has every intention of returning to the Mets for the final year of a three-year, $36 million contract next season.
“I have one more year,” Perez said. “If I’m here, I’m going to do all the best for my team.”
If Perez really intended to “do all the best” for his team, he would have accepted a minor league assignment months ago.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 1
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)