And That Happened: Sunday's Scores and Highlights

Sep 6, 2010, 5:30 AM EST

"High Five, Mike Young! Oh, wait! Don't! Don't! Crap."

Twins 6, Rangers 5: The coach-touching-the-runner interference call which ended this one is kind of nuts. Mostly because I can’t remember this even being talked about during a ballgame let alone ever having seen it. But it happened, Michael Young was out and the Rangers lost a game it looked like they were poised to at least tie up. My initial thought: even if there was contact here it was nothing of consequence, and did not “physically assist the runner in returning to or leaving third base,” which is what the contact needs to do per the rule in order to justify calling the runner out. In other words, it’s a judgment call, and the ump here, I think, judged it poorly.

All that said, how hilarious was it that third base coach Dave Anderson first yanked his hands back and then busted ass to get back inside the third base coach box as Young was running back to third? He knew they touched, and was trying his best to sell it that they didn’t. I still don’t think Young should have been called out, but maybe there’s a reason they have coaches boxes in the first place, huh?

White Sox 7, Red Sox 5: This is the game that sealed Papelbon’s non-tender this winter, right? Yeah, I realize that Richardson and Manuel walked in the go-ahead run and one to grow on, but they were Papelbon’s guys and the first rule of closing is not to put dudes on, right? Oh, and I’m guessing the White Sox are even angrier at that coach’s interference call in the Rangers-Twins game than the Rangers are. I mean, Texas basically has its playoff spot locked up. The Sox needed Minnesota to lose that one.

Cardinals 4, Reds 2: St. Louis took two of three, but is even that enough at this juncture? Chris Carpenter struck out 11. Matt Holliday hit the three-run bomb to put the Cards up for good. Future Braves centerfielder Colby Rasmus was 2 for 3.

Rockies 4, Padres 2: This is getting really hard to watch. Ten straight down, now the Giants are on the Padres’ heels and the Rockies — 4.5 back — aren’t far behind.

Giants 3, Dodgers 0: How close are the Giants? One game now thanks to a gem from Jonathan Sanchez (7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 9K). A two run homer for Juan Uribe — his second of the series — but he had to leave the game because, right before his bomb, he fouled one off his leg. Check in with lar and the Tater Trot Tracker to see if Uribe’s trot was negatively impacted.

Mets 18, Cubs 5: An eighteen run outburst on getaway day. How fun do you suppose that flight to D.C. was for the Mets yesterday? Courtesy of the Crank: the Mets have scored 18 or more runs in games seven times in their glorious history. Four of those games were in Wrigley Field.

Marlins 7, Braves 6: I’m happy I spent my afternoon toiling in our basement crawlspace rather than going from angry (Marlins take 6-0 lead) to happy (Braves tie it up) to angry again (Marlins win it in the 10th). Although the crawlspace toiling sucks on several levels too. For one thing my legs are in flaming pain today from all of the crouching and lugging of stuff. For another, most of the lugging was of baseball cards, getting them out of the main part of the basement and into storage so I can make room for a treadmill and weight setup, which will put me in even more pain. Hell, maybe I should have just had a few beers and watched this mess of a game to begin with? In other news, I have way too many damn baseball cards.

Brewers 6, Phillies 2: Philly couldn’t take advantage of Atlanta’s stumble as Kyle Kendrick gave up a three-run bomb to Prince Fielder in the first inning and the Brewers never gave up the lead. Philly remains one behind the Braves.

Mariners 3, Indians 0: I felt pretty confident that Zack Greinke was going to win the Cy Young last year because his ERA and peripherals were so damn good that they had to overcome a lackluster win total that wasn’t his fault.  I’m less confident in Felix Hernandez pulling the same trick this year. Not because he’s not the best starter in the AL — he clearly is in my mind — but because the writers just ain’t gonna do the right thing twice in a row. Anyway, King Felix shut out the Tribe over eight and struck out nine dudes. He’s now 11-10 on the season, but he has 209Ks, has an ERA of 2.30, a WHIP of 1.09 and is going to finish with something like 250 innings pitched and fewer than 20 homers allowed.

Nationals 8, Pirates 1: Not all last place teams are created equal. Pirates starter Charlie Morton did lower his ERA from 10.03 to 9.66, though, so that’s a moral victory, right? Jason
Marquis refereed to himself in the third person after today’s game, describing his recent struggles thusly: “
That wasn’t Jason Marquis; it was Jason Marquis but pitching hurt, trying to battle through.” Craig doesn’t feel comfortable with a guy like Marquis doing that.

Blue Jays 7, Yankees 3: Haven’t scanned the tabloids yet, so someone tell me if any of them have blamed the return of A-Rod for the Yanks’ winning streak getting snapped. I wouldn’t bet a pair of fetid dingo’s kidneys that no one went there. I’d probably bet the pink slip to my car that they did.

Orioles 8, Rays 7: Rocco Baldelli hit a two-run homer in his first at bat of the season and three other Rays had dingers too, but they weren’t enough to stop Buck Showalter from snagging his 900th career win.

Royals 2, Tigers 1: Jim Leyland: “You’re not going to win any games normally with three hits.”  That’s why he makes the big bucks, folks.

Angels 7, Athletics 4: Anaheim salvages one after getting shut down on Friday and Saturday. Ervin Santana lowers ran his career ERA against Oakland to 1.80 ERA and improved to 12-3 against them lifetime.

Astros 3, Diamondbacks 2: From the AP recap: “Get rid of the first eight games of the season and the Houston Astros would be a .500 team.” Yeah, and if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ass a-hoppin’. OK, that was harsh. I get the point — the Astros have been pretty good in recent weeks — but I like to whip out that “if a frog had wings” thing once or twice a year and I don’t think I’ve done it yet. I got another one about how my auntie would be me uncle if certain things were different, but this is a family blog so I’ll save that for when I usually use it: in conversations with my children.

1. Paulmcc - Sep 6, 2010 at 6:35 AM

Craig, your thoughts about the BBWAA not seeing sense two years in a row already seems to be coming to fruition.
    Murray Chass, on his “not a blog”, has a piece which references Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com’s WAR. It ends with the marvellous line “O’Connell (secretary-treasurer of the Baseball Writers Association) can simply ask Forman to e-mail him the final WAR numbers, and then he can stand on the dais at the New York baseball dinner each January and present the m.v.p. and Cy Young awards to a computer.”
    I should say that Mr Chass does write some very interesting pieces on his site, from his “old school” perspective (and nothing wrong with that), and this one, while ending with his views about the evils of statistics, is in fact largely about the pitchers on winning teams who have losing records. I think, though I may be wrong, that pitchers records are comprised of numbers.
    As Benjamin Disraeli famously almost said, “there are lies, damed lies, statistics and statistics which support my argument so they get a free pass”.
    Thanks too for the Oolon Coloophid reference – a nice way to start a Monday morning.

2. Proudly Canadian - Sep 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Hernandez pitches in the AL West where the quality of the opposition is weak. That probably has a positive impact on his stats.

3. John_Michael - Sep 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Anyway, K-Rod shut out the Tribe
    I think you meant F-Her.
    Now, that’s a nickname that, well, nevermind…

4. Kevin S. - Sep 6, 2010 at 8:38 AM

I think what you meant to say was “Now, that’s a nickname that justifies the ‘A-Rod-icizing’ of everybody’s name for the past decade or so.”

5. Patrick42 - Sep 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM

“I got another one about how my auntie would be me uncle if certain things were different, but this is a family blog so I’ll save that for when I usually use it: in conversations with my children.”
    Oh Craig, I missed you while you were on vacation.

6. lar @ wezen-ball - Sep 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Thanks for the Tater Trot Tracker link, Craig. I’m working on the other 28 home runs right now, but Uribe’s trot came in at 23.16 seconds.
    That’s not all that slow, but it is about 2 full seconds slower than Uribe’s average time of 21.36 seconds. It was his second slowest trot of the year. I couldn’t say for sure that a foul ball slowed him down, but, considering how consistent his trots have been all year, I suspect it did.

7. The Common Man - Sep 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Too many baseball cards? TOO MANY BASEBALL CARDS??? No such thing, sir. You take that back. TAKE IT BACK! (Seriously, take it back before my wife reads that and tries to convince me to get rid of mine.)

8. fordprefect - Sep 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Ooolon ref? That being was a sleazy hack, certainly not above stealing one of my favorite trademark bon mots.
    Thank you very much and pass the Ol’ Janx Spirit, I’ve been working too hard not to deserve it.

9. fordprefect - Sep 6, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Oolon Colluphid? A sleazy hack if you ask me. Stealing bon mots which are trademarked on Betelgeuse.

10. APBA Guy - Sep 6, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Mr. Canadian, the quality of opposition in the AL West this year is definitely weak (See A’s, Oakland) but F-Her is seriously dealing and has been since June. Whereas my 83 year old mother proudly proclaims that she can hit most of the Royals pitchers, she admits to having no chance against the King. Buchholz is doing really well this season, but there is only one King. And I realize that you are rendering your opinion on what the Neanderthal BBWAA will do and why, and it does not necessarily represent your opinion, but I speak in praise of the King. And I remind all that he’s only 24 years old, and still will be on opening day 2011.

11. Old Gator - Sep 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I know how Craig feels about those baseball cards. I have too many snakes. Hey Craig, you want to come over next weekend and help me clean all the terrariums and reorganize my reptile shed? Don’t worry, though. You take the ball pythons and I’ll handle Friendo myself.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester