Sep 6, 2010, 9:29 AM EDT
Happy Labor Day, everyone. Why am I working today? Because this ain’t labor, my comrades. Hopefully most of you who do work, however, are getting a nice day off to recharge and reflect and stuff. In the meantime, here’s what went down over the weekend:
- Adam Wainwright: “I won’t lose again.” This is the most confident boast I’ve heard since the Archduke Ferdinand said “no man can stop me!”
I suppose it’s possible that Colby Rasmus was being immature with his trade demand,
but you’d think La Russa and Pujols could appreciate that a cheap,
young stud centerfielder may be important to a team that’s about to pay
Albert eleventy-billion dollars and thus refrain from, you know, making his future with the Cardinals essentially impossible.
- A-Rod returns, Yankees lose. Why does A-Rod hate America?
- Chipper Jones was ejected from a game
he was watching from the bench and was subsequently suspended. My case for
him to follow Bobby Cox into management gets stronger every day.
- Jim Thome passes Mark McGwire on the all-time home run list. Thome: “aw, shucks.” That wasn’t in the article, but I’ll bet that’s what he said.
- Manny Ramirez apologizes for his behavior in Boston. Just another case of Manny bein’, oh, wait. Actually that was awfully nice of him.
- Stephen Strasburg had Tommy John surgery. Jeez, kid. Just rub some dirt on it and get back out there. Pansy.
- Carlos Silva returns following his heart procedure. Jeez, kid. Just rub some dirt on it and get back out there. Pansy.
- The Padres are probably all nostalgic for the time when their losing streak was only eight games long.
- Jeremy Hermida signs with the Athletics. This changes everything.
- Johan Santana threw off a mound yesterday. Big whoop. A whole bunch of other guys did too. Where else are they gonna throw from? Or am I missing something?
Today isn’t a real workin’ day, but we’re blogging. Come back and check in on us between labor solidarity rallies and union organizing, OK?
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)