Sep 6, 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
While the Padres have been a good story, I’ve been rather agnostic on the NL West race this year. The games just end too late for me so I can’t get into it the way I get into the east and central races. That’s probably going to change now that I know this, courtesy of the Merc’s Andrew Baggarly:
Anyway, like most baseball players, [Aubrey] Huff is superstitious. So he made
a little, ahem, alteration to his uniform to help change his luck.
He’s wearing a red thong. And not the kind that Omar Vizquel used to
wear. I’m pretty sure this one came from the lingerie department, not
“We’re 3-1 with it,” he blared after tonight’s raucous victory. “I might never get a hit the rest of the year, though.”
4-1 after last night’s win over the Dodgers.
In a followup post, Huff made it clear that it should be referred to as the “rally thong.” He held it up to teammates and said “this is 20 wins right here.” All right-thinking people can agree that it, rather than the Padres’ 10-game losing streak, is responsible for the Giants pulling within one game.
I guess the Padres could counter, though. They wear camouflage all the time and are big at tipping their caps to the large military population of San Diego. Next logical step: go commando.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 0
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)