Sep 6, 2010, 10:37 AM EDT
While the Padres have been a good story, I’ve been rather agnostic on the NL West race this year. The games just end too late for me so I can’t get into it the way I get into the east and central races. That’s probably going to change now that I know this, courtesy of the Merc’s Andrew Baggarly:
Anyway, like most baseball players, [Aubrey] Huff is superstitious. So he made
a little, ahem, alteration to his uniform to help change his luck.
He’s wearing a red thong. And not the kind that Omar Vizquel used to
wear. I’m pretty sure this one came from the lingerie department, not
“We’re 3-1 with it,” he blared after tonight’s raucous victory. “I might never get a hit the rest of the year, though.”
4-1 after last night’s win over the Dodgers.
In a followup post, Huff made it clear that it should be referred to as the “rally thong.” He held it up to teammates and said “this is 20 wins right here.” All right-thinking people can agree that it, rather than the Padres’ 10-game losing streak, is responsible for the Giants pulling within one game.
I guess the Padres could counter, though. They wear camouflage all the time and are big at tipping their caps to the large military population of San Diego. Next logical step: go commando.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)