Sep 6, 2010, 10:37 AM EST
While the Padres have been a good story, I’ve been rather agnostic on the NL West race this year. The games just end too late for me so I can’t get into it the way I get into the east and central races. That’s probably going to change now that I know this, courtesy of the Merc’s Andrew Baggarly:
Anyway, like most baseball players, [Aubrey] Huff is superstitious. So he made
a little, ahem, alteration to his uniform to help change his luck.
He’s wearing a red thong. And not the kind that Omar Vizquel used to
wear. I’m pretty sure this one came from the lingerie department, not
“We’re 3-1 with it,” he blared after tonight’s raucous victory. “I might never get a hit the rest of the year, though.”
4-1 after last night’s win over the Dodgers.
In a followup post, Huff made it clear that it should be referred to as the “rally thong.” He held it up to teammates and said “this is 20 wins right here.” All right-thinking people can agree that it, rather than the Padres’ 10-game losing streak, is responsible for the Giants pulling within one game.
I guess the Padres could counter, though. They wear camouflage all the time and are big at tipping their caps to the large military population of San Diego. Next logical step: go commando.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)