Source: Jayson Werth may soon sign with Scott Boras

Sep 6, 2010, 2:54 PM EDT

On Friday, Jerry Crasnick tweeted that Jayson Werth has parted ways with agent Jeff Borris.  Werth was cagey about it when asked over the weekend, denying that he has left Borris and Beverly Hills Sports council.  That’s likely a matter of semantics, however, because Crasnick’s source says Werth is “shopping” for new representation. I’m hearing the same thing.

What else I’m hearing: the front runner is Scott Boras, with whom Werth is “way down the road,” according to my sources, and it’s looking like he will sign with him.

Given that this winter stands to be Werth’s last, biggest free agent pay day, Boras is probably a good choice.  What he is not, however, is the choice Phillies fans probably want to hear, because his hiring would almost certainly mean that Werth hits the market and that he signs high.

1. RichardInBigD - Sep 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM

“What he is not, however, is the choice Phillies fans probably want to hear, because his hiring would almost certainly mean that Werth hits the market and that he signs high.”…and elsewhere.

2. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Sep 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I’m just gonna throw this out there, because someone has to say it…
    Isn’t Jayson Werth just a lil bit overrated?
    I mean seriously, we’re talking about a career .271/.366/.478 hitter with overrated speed and declining defense who is going to be 32 next season.
    His offensive “explosion” went hand-in-hand with moving to a bandbox of a ballpark and landing in a lineup full of great hitters. Take him out of that lineup and park and you can expect those numbers to decline.
    Anyone who thinks he’s a better value than Carl Crawford this offseason is a fool. Period.

3. Buccofan - Sep 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM

No one says that Werth is a better value than Crawford. Boras may say that if he signs Werth and doesn’t represent Crawford, but that’s Boras. Plus, I’m sure that if the Yankees sign Werth and not Crawford, they’ll be saying that, too. However, Werth is a fine hitter, and most teams would be happy to have him.

4. Gobias Industries - Sep 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Wow, when Werth split with his agent a couple days ago, I NEVER would’ve predicted that he’d end up with Boras. Shocker.

5. matt - Sep 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Cheap seat, your absolutely correct. He is overrated and many phillies fans realize this. Not only that, the article portrays this as bad news for philly fans. This is where a national guy has no clue about local stuff. Phillies fans dont even talk about signing Jason Werth on sports radio. His departure was written in stone long ago and only confirmed when they got Oswalt. The phillies are tapped out payroll wise and nobody has even considerd signing him for a long while and quite frankly, the fans are not overly sad about this. He is overrated. I believe he still has the lowest batting average with runners in scoring position and he does nothing but swing for the fences. Ohh…and he is as bright as a bag of rocks on top of all that. The shaggy caveman look is very appropriate. Its also been mentioned several times this year by people who cover the phillies that his attitude has changed for the worse since becoming a well-known name in baseball. All this for a guy who didnt play full time until last year at about 30 years old and hit .269 with about 99 rbi’s in a stacked lineup. Bottom line? $17 million a year?? you can have him courtesy of the phillies fans.

6. Dasher521 - Sep 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Jason Werth isn’t as good as he was last year, nor is he as bad as he has been this year. (Hard to figure how he is hitting around .300 when you watch him everyday.) Werth’s value to the Phillies is that he is a right handed bat with some pop that can hit behind and help protect Ryan Howard. The fans alternative is Domonic Brown. Brown shows flashes of the very good player that he is going to be, but he needs to polish many aspects of his game before he is an everyday player in the major leagues. He also is another left handed bat. Just as Aaron Rowand was a very nice player for the Phillies, he wasn’t worth what he was asking. It isn’t known what Werth will be asking, he probably isn’t worth the big, long term contract he is seeking. Ibanez is going no where with his $11-12 million contract for 2011. Maybe Francisco can step up under the same condition that Werth did (as pointed out above, Cheap Seat Chronicles). I’ll worry about October, before I worry about April.

7. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM

It doesn’t matter who his agent is. Philly isn’t going to be able to absorb his salary at a rock bottom bargain, let alone fair market value. And as Philly fans, most of us who know what’s going on anyway can’t even remotely expect the team to be able to keep him anyway. It doesn’t matter if he is overrated or not, we’ll just thank him when he leaves, and hope we get to thank him for helping get to the 010 WS. I HOPE he get’s overpaid by the next team who lands him. Thanks for everything jayson, but we have other players who are more key to success and the Phillies will need to resign them too.

8. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I don’t know, before the Phillies, the guy hardly had a chance to hone his skills in the bigs. It took him a good amount of time to get sharp once he played in Philly, I watched it. Now as far as “bandbox” goes CSC, When Werth hits a home run, it’s usually well behind the wall, and frequently 2nd level bombs. He has a patience problem right now, which Charlie is working on, the whole team was suffering from it actually. I think Werth’s season is about to get much better soon. It is to be expected. Overrated??? Since when does baseball overrate batters anyway? The numbers are the numbers aren’t they?

9. NicoSamuelson2 - Sep 7, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Well, he IS the best right fielder since Sandy Koufax.

10. VANDERGRAAFK - Sep 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I like Jayson Werth a lot. But, let’s be realistic. The Howard signing and the acquisition of Oswalt necessitate careful decision making. Yes, it’s probably going to cost between $17 and $20 million for Werth per year. He might be worth it if it weren’t for his horrible RISP stats this year. Yes, he hits for average, but not with runners in scoring position. At this point, I would rather take a chance with Brown in right field. Of course, I’d rather have Werth, Victorino and Brown, but that’s an impossibility unless a trade can be made for Raul Ibanez who has a much better RISP than Werth.

11. rose - Sep 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Jayson rubs me the wrong way. There is just something about him that I can not pin point that makes me not want to love him. Sure he has done great things. I appreciate what he has done for this team. However I am ready to let him go and see what Brown can really do.

12. Route36West - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:53 AM

I say give Werth what he wants carry Ibanez for 1 more year leave Brown in the minors 1 more year and go into 2012 with Werth Brown and Victorino.
    Werth is the reason why the Phillies have sold 100+ games in a row we know hes going to cost alot so weve been paying for him. They need to do the right thing.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet