Sep 6, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
You might recall Signature Pharmacy, the mail order drug store that was portrayed as steroid and HGH central back in 2007. In 2008, the Albany, New York prosecutor’s office brought charges against Signature and its owners. This despite the fact that Signature was in Florida. The charges were subsequently dismissed. While I have no idea what, exactly, Signature was doing, I felt at the time that Albany prosecutors going after a Florida company like this was steroids grandstanding of the worst kind.
Seems the judge handling the Signature owners’ civil rights lawsuit agrees with me, because he just smacked the Albany prosecutors down, and smacked them hard:
In denying Mr. Soares’s motion to dismiss the suit, the judge, Gregory
A. Presnell, used biting language to criticize Mr. Soares, saying he had
led a case riddled with flaws, including arrests that potentially were
illegal, as Mr. Soares sought to attract maximum media attention . . .
. . . He also described the extent to which the Albany district attorney’s
office sought to orchestrate media coverage for the raid, saying that
Mr. Soares and a top deputy on the case, Christopher Baynes, “appear to
have been focused in significant part on ensuring that plaintiffs’
arrests and the raids would be covered by the media.”
Perish the thought.
Now, if we can get this judge to weigh in on Jeff Novitzky and the prosecutors who are continuing to go after Barry Bonds despite a seeming critical lack of evidence, we’ll be getting somewhere.
Steroids are bad, mmm-kay, but the zeal with which their use and distribution has been pursued by law enforcement and the expense that has gone into such a pursuit far, far outweighs the danger they pose. Here’s hoping this isn’t the last judge who understands this and shoves it up wazoo of overzealous, media-hungry, careerist prosecutors.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)