Sep 6, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
You might recall Signature Pharmacy, the mail order drug store that was portrayed as steroid and HGH central back in 2007. In 2008, the Albany, New York prosecutor’s office brought charges against Signature and its owners. This despite the fact that Signature was in Florida. The charges were subsequently dismissed. While I have no idea what, exactly, Signature was doing, I felt at the time that Albany prosecutors going after a Florida company like this was steroids grandstanding of the worst kind.
Seems the judge handling the Signature owners’ civil rights lawsuit agrees with me, because he just smacked the Albany prosecutors down, and smacked them hard:
In denying Mr. Soares’s motion to dismiss the suit, the judge, Gregory
A. Presnell, used biting language to criticize Mr. Soares, saying he had
led a case riddled with flaws, including arrests that potentially were
illegal, as Mr. Soares sought to attract maximum media attention . . .
. . . He also described the extent to which the Albany district attorney’s
office sought to orchestrate media coverage for the raid, saying that
Mr. Soares and a top deputy on the case, Christopher Baynes, “appear to
have been focused in significant part on ensuring that plaintiffs’
arrests and the raids would be covered by the media.”
Perish the thought.
Now, if we can get this judge to weigh in on Jeff Novitzky and the prosecutors who are continuing to go after Barry Bonds despite a seeming critical lack of evidence, we’ll be getting somewhere.
Steroids are bad, mmm-kay, but the zeal with which their use and distribution has been pursued by law enforcement and the expense that has gone into such a pursuit far, far outweighs the danger they pose. Here’s hoping this isn’t the last judge who understands this and shoves it up wazoo of overzealous, media-hungry, careerist prosecutors.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)