Sep 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been pushed back to Tuesday due to a “violent” stomach bug. Enough said there.
Kevin Correia, who was slated to start Tuesday, will be available in relief of Tim Stauffer tonight. It’s actually not the worst thing in the world since Correia has struggled badly of late.
Cory Luebke will make his second major league start Wednesday against the Dodgers, while Jon Garland will kick off Thursday’s four-game series against the Giants.
6:32 PM: If there was one thing for the reeling Padres to hang their hats on, it was that they would have their ace Mat Latos on the hill against the Dodgers tonight. Not anymore.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been scratched due to illness. Tim Stauffer will make the spot start in his place. That’s rough.
As Brock tells us, Stauffer tossed five scoreless innings in his last spot start back on May 9, but Latos has been pretty close to a sure thing for the past three months. In fact, the young right-hander has allowed two runs or less in each of his last 14 starts. We’ll probably see Latos in the next day or so, but the Padres might be looking up in the standings by then.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (116)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)