Sep 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been pushed back to Tuesday due to a “violent” stomach bug. Enough said there.
Kevin Correia, who was slated to start Tuesday, will be available in relief of Tim Stauffer tonight. It’s actually not the worst thing in the world since Correia has struggled badly of late.
Cory Luebke will make his second major league start Wednesday against the Dodgers, while Jon Garland will kick off Thursday’s four-game series against the Giants.
6:32 PM: If there was one thing for the reeling Padres to hang their hats on, it was that they would have their ace Mat Latos on the hill against the Dodgers tonight. Not anymore.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been scratched due to illness. Tim Stauffer will make the spot start in his place. That’s rough.
As Brock tells us, Stauffer tossed five scoreless innings in his last spot start back on May 9, but Latos has been pretty close to a sure thing for the past three months. In fact, the young right-hander has allowed two runs or less in each of his last 14 starts. We’ll probably see Latos in the next day or so, but the Padres might be looking up in the standings by then.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 6
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness