Sep 6, 2010, 7:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been pushed back to Tuesday due to a “violent” stomach bug. Enough said there.
Kevin Correia, who was slated to start Tuesday, will be available in relief of Tim Stauffer tonight. It’s actually not the worst thing in the world since Correia has struggled badly of late.
Cory Luebke will make his second major league start Wednesday against the Dodgers, while Jon Garland will kick off Thursday’s four-game series against the Giants.
6:32 PM: If there was one thing for the reeling Padres to hang their hats on, it was that they would have their ace Mat Latos on the hill against the Dodgers tonight. Not anymore.
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Latos has been scratched due to illness. Tim Stauffer will make the spot start in his place. That’s rough.
As Brock tells us, Stauffer tossed five scoreless innings in his last spot start back on May 9, but Latos has been pretty close to a sure thing for the past three months. In fact, the young right-hander has allowed two runs or less in each of his last 14 starts. We’ll probably see Latos in the next day or so, but the Padres might be looking up in the standings by then.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)