Sep 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
Whether or not it’ll be with the Red Sox remains to be seen, but Jason Varitek said yesterday that he plans to play somewhere in 2011.
Varitek has been out since June 30 with a broken foot and played sparingly as Victor Martinez’s backup even before the injury, logging a total of 105 plate appearances and 23 starts through 79 team games, but the 38-year-old done well in the limited action by hitting .263/.324/.547 for his highest OPS since 2004.
He’s also thrown out 21 percent of stolen base attempts after falling to a career-low 13 percent last season, so Varitek should have no trouble finding a job for next season. And while he’ll no doubt have to take a pay cut from the $8 million he’s earned over the past two seasons, Varitek may even find an opportunity for more playing time than he’s gotten behind Martinez in Boston.
He went 1-for-2 with a sacrifice fly and also threw out a runner in his first rehab game at Triple-A yesterday and could be activated from the disabled list as soon as tomorrow. And with Martinez also an impending free agent, returning to Boston in 2011 for a 15th season with the Red Sox probably can’t be ruled out.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 21
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 36
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)