Sep 6, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
Whether or not it’ll be with the Red Sox remains to be seen, but Jason Varitek said yesterday that he plans to play somewhere in 2011.
Varitek has been out since June 30 with a broken foot and played sparingly as Victor Martinez’s backup even before the injury, logging a total of 105 plate appearances and 23 starts through 79 team games, but the 38-year-old done well in the limited action by hitting .263/.324/.547 for his highest OPS since 2004.
He’s also thrown out 21 percent of stolen base attempts after falling to a career-low 13 percent last season, so Varitek should have no trouble finding a job for next season. And while he’ll no doubt have to take a pay cut from the $8 million he’s earned over the past two seasons, Varitek may even find an opportunity for more playing time than he’s gotten behind Martinez in Boston.
He went 1-for-2 with a sacrifice fly and also threw out a runner in his first rehab game at Triple-A yesterday and could be activated from the disabled list as soon as tomorrow. And with Martinez also an impending free agent, returning to Boston in 2011 for a 15th season with the Red Sox probably can’t be ruled out.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)