Sep 6, 2010, 9:59 PM EDT
The Reds are still in very good shape in the NL Central, but they aren’t about to rest on their laurels.
Including today’s loss to the Rockies, Aaron Harang has allowed seven runs — five earned — with a lousy 3/6 K/BB ratio over his first two starts since coming off the disabled list. After failing to make it through five innings in either outing, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he will soon make a decision about whether Harang will remain in the starting rotation.
“Yeah, pretty soon,” Baker said. “We’ll discuss things and see. We
can’t have these short outings. That puts pressure on my bullpen for the
ensuing days after that.”
It just so happened that Edinson Volquez pitched on the same turn Monday with Single-A Dayton, allowing two runs on six hits over six innings while walking three and striking out 10.
Volquez was sent to the minors last week in order to work on his mechanics. One year removed from Tommy John surgery, he has a 6.17 ERA and 36/27 K/BB ratio over seven starts with the Reds this season. Volquez isn’t exactly a stable option at the moment, but he’s looking like the logical choice to get the call against the Pirates this weekend.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)