Sep 6, 2010, 9:59 PM EDT
The Reds are still in very good shape in the NL Central, but they aren’t about to rest on their laurels.
Including today’s loss to the Rockies, Aaron Harang has allowed seven runs — five earned — with a lousy 3/6 K/BB ratio over his first two starts since coming off the disabled list. After failing to make it through five innings in either outing, Reds manager Dusty Baker told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he will soon make a decision about whether Harang will remain in the starting rotation.
“Yeah, pretty soon,” Baker said. “We’ll discuss things and see. We
can’t have these short outings. That puts pressure on my bullpen for the
ensuing days after that.”
It just so happened that Edinson Volquez pitched on the same turn Monday with Single-A Dayton, allowing two runs on six hits over six innings while walking three and striking out 10.
Volquez was sent to the minors last week in order to work on his mechanics. One year removed from Tommy John surgery, he has a 6.17 ERA and 36/27 K/BB ratio over seven starts with the Reds this season. Volquez isn’t exactly a stable option at the moment, but he’s looking like the logical choice to get the call against the Pirates this weekend.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)