Sep 7, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
This morning’s thing about the Portland Beavers inspired a few of you wonder who will become the Padres’ AAA team next year. It inspired a few others to muse in general about the great musical chairs game that is the affiliation business.
As if on cue, lar at Wezen-Ball created this fun graphic showing AAA affiliate movement over time. He also has an accompanying explanatory article. Aside from the fact that he put the little dot that’s supposed to represent Columbus where Dayton really is I like it a lot. But that’s classic Wisconsin bias for you.
The upshot: AAA teams move all the damn time. They usually end up settling back in the same cities over and over again, though, with the places going more than a few years at a time without a AAA team really only being those who don’t really want one to begin with.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)