A graphical representation of changing AAA affiliations

Sep 7, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

This morning’s thing about the Portland Beavers inspired a few of you wonder who will become the Padres’ AAA team next year. It inspired a few others to muse in general about the great musical chairs game that is the affiliation business.

As if on cue, lar at Wezen-Ball created this fun graphic showing AAA affiliate movement over time. He also has an accompanying explanatory article. Aside from the fact that he put the little dot that’s supposed to represent Columbus where Dayton really is I like it a lot. But that’s classic Wisconsin bias for you.

The upshot: AAA teams move all the damn time. They usually end up settling back in the same cities over and over again, though, with the places going more than a few years at a time without a AAA team really only being those who don’t really want one to begin with.

1. Mr. Furious - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM

The politicians in Luzerne County seem hell bent on screwing up Scranton/Wilkes-Barre’s affiliation with the Yankees.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:32 PM

The politicians of Luzerne County used to be my clients. I represented them in the aftermath of the construction of the First Union arena (big fight over construction money). I shall therefore reserve comment for the time being.
    But, yeah.

3. lar @ wezen-ball - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Thanks, Craig. But, in my defense, I’d say that the Columbus dot is actually between Dayton & Columbus. Looking at Google Maps, Columbus is east of Toledo and Dayton is west of Toledo. That dot is pretty much due south of Toledo (though ever-so-slightly east).
    But, don’t worry… it was done on purpose. We Wisconsites like to do as much as possible to irk Ohioans, and putting a dot a little too far west is our most devious ploy yet… I’m glad it’s working!

4. John_Michael - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:00 PM

It’s not Wisconians? Really? Hmm…So noted.

5. lar @ wezen-ball - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Common term is most certainly Wisconsin-ites (I typo’d above, it looks like). I do hear ‘Sconnie every now and then, which I personally prefer.
    I was trying to figure out what the heck someone from Columbus would be called, but I went the easy way out with Ohioan…

6. Mark Armour - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The Red Sox have had the same Triple-A affiliate for 38 years. I am not sure if that is the longest active streak, but they have kept that short shuttle busy in the past several years.

7. JimmyY - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Rumored move has been to a local San Diego county location. Problem is its hard enough to get people to come to the MLB games let alone their minor league affiliate within the same county. Yet to be resolved.

8. Tribester - Sep 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

If that dot in WV is Charleston (which I don’t know what else it would be), it’s too far west as well, but this was interesting anyway.

9. Matt - Sep 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Also in his defense, noone cares about Ohio.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)