Sep 7, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Three months ago Chris Sale was a starting pitcher for Florida Gulf Coast College and now he’s perhaps the most-trusted reliever in the White Sox’s bullpen, picking up his first career victory with 2.2 flawless innings yesterday.
Selected with the 13th overall pick in June’s draft and almost immediately signed to a $1.65 million bonus, Sale made quick work of the minors and has allowed just one run in 13.2 innings since his August 6 debut.
And while the rail-thin southpaw may not look like much at 6-foot-6 and 170 pounds–with even that weigh-in presumably coming after a large breakfast–his average fastball has clocked in at 96.2 miles per hour and Sale has also shown a devastatingly effective high-80s slider.
He’s struggled at times to throw strikes, walking nine batters in 13.2 innings, but opponents are just 6-for-45 (.133) with 19 strikeouts off Sale and the 21-year-old lefty has amazingly held right-handed hitters to a .074 batting average and zero extra-base hits in 27 at-bats.
Much like how Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox rode then-rookie Bobby Jenks to the World Series in 2005, if Chicago is going to catch Minnesota in the AL Central it looks like Sale will be a huge reason why.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)