Sep 7, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Three months ago Chris Sale was a starting pitcher for Florida Gulf Coast College and now he’s perhaps the most-trusted reliever in the White Sox’s bullpen, picking up his first career victory with 2.2 flawless innings yesterday.
Selected with the 13th overall pick in June’s draft and almost immediately signed to a $1.65 million bonus, Sale made quick work of the minors and has allowed just one run in 13.2 innings since his August 6 debut.
And while the rail-thin southpaw may not look like much at 6-foot-6 and 170 pounds–with even that weigh-in presumably coming after a large breakfast–his average fastball has clocked in at 96.2 miles per hour and Sale has also shown a devastatingly effective high-80s slider.
He’s struggled at times to throw strikes, walking nine batters in 13.2 innings, but opponents are just 6-for-45 (.133) with 19 strikeouts off Sale and the 21-year-old lefty has amazingly held right-handed hitters to a .074 batting average and zero extra-base hits in 27 at-bats.
Much like how Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox rode then-rookie Bobby Jenks to the World Series in 2005, if Chicago is going to catch Minnesota in the AL Central it looks like Sale will be a huge reason why.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games