Sep 7, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Three months ago Chris Sale was a starting pitcher for Florida Gulf Coast College and now he’s perhaps the most-trusted reliever in the White Sox’s bullpen, picking up his first career victory with 2.2 flawless innings yesterday.
Selected with the 13th overall pick in June’s draft and almost immediately signed to a $1.65 million bonus, Sale made quick work of the minors and has allowed just one run in 13.2 innings since his August 6 debut.
And while the rail-thin southpaw may not look like much at 6-foot-6 and 170 pounds–with even that weigh-in presumably coming after a large breakfast–his average fastball has clocked in at 96.2 miles per hour and Sale has also shown a devastatingly effective high-80s slider.
He’s struggled at times to throw strikes, walking nine batters in 13.2 innings, but opponents are just 6-for-45 (.133) with 19 strikeouts off Sale and the 21-year-old lefty has amazingly held right-handed hitters to a .074 batting average and zero extra-base hits in 27 at-bats.
Much like how Ozzie Guillen and the White Sox rode then-rookie Bobby Jenks to the World Series in 2005, if Chicago is going to catch Minnesota in the AL Central it looks like Sale will be a huge reason why.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 13
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)