Sep 7, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Rays prospect Jeremy Hellickson has been named Baseball America‘s minor league player of the year after the 22-year-old right-hander went 12-3 with a 2.45 ERA, .238 opponents’ batting average, and 123/35 K/BB ratio in 117.2 innings at Triple-A.
BA doesn’t list the other finalists for the award, but Mike Moustakas and Wil Myers of the Royals, Mike Trout of the Angels, and Domonic Brown of the Phillies were other prominent candidates.
Hellickson is the third Rays prospect to win the award in the franchise’s 13-year history, following the footsteps of Delmon Young in 2005 and Rocco Baldelli in 2002. He’s also the first pitcher to win the award since Rockies left-hander Jeff Francis in 2004, as Young, Alex Gordon, Jay Bruce, Matt Wieters, and Jason Heyward marked five straight position player recipients.
In addition to dominating Triple-A hitters Hellickson has also thrived in his first taste of the majors, going 3-0 with a 2.57 ERA, .212 opponents’ batting average, and 26/5 K/BB ratio through 28 innings for the Rays.
He’s been so good and Jeff Niemann has struggled so much since returning from the disabled list that Hellickson could be in line for a spot in the postseason rotation.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)