Sep 7, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Rays prospect Jeremy Hellickson has been named Baseball America‘s minor league player of the year after the 22-year-old right-hander went 12-3 with a 2.45 ERA, .238 opponents’ batting average, and 123/35 K/BB ratio in 117.2 innings at Triple-A.
BA doesn’t list the other finalists for the award, but Mike Moustakas and Wil Myers of the Royals, Mike Trout of the Angels, and Domonic Brown of the Phillies were other prominent candidates.
Hellickson is the third Rays prospect to win the award in the franchise’s 13-year history, following the footsteps of Delmon Young in 2005 and Rocco Baldelli in 2002. He’s also the first pitcher to win the award since Rockies left-hander Jeff Francis in 2004, as Young, Alex Gordon, Jay Bruce, Matt Wieters, and Jason Heyward marked five straight position player recipients.
In addition to dominating Triple-A hitters Hellickson has also thrived in his first taste of the majors, going 3-0 with a 2.57 ERA, .212 opponents’ batting average, and 26/5 K/BB ratio through 28 innings for the Rays.
He’s been so good and Jeff Niemann has struggled so much since returning from the disabled list that Hellickson could be in line for a spot in the postseason rotation.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)