Sep 7, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
According to manager Edwin Rodriguez, Josh Johnson is “50-50″ to make his scheduled start Friday against the Nationals because of lingering back soreness.
Johnson, who is third in the NL with a 2.30 ERA and fourth with 186 strikeouts, has been dealing with the problem for weeks. While he’s remained solid, he’s missed out on quality starts three times in seven outings since the beginning of August.
Because the Marlins are 8 1/2 games back in the NL East and eight games behind the Phillies in the wild card, it’s possible Johnson will be shut down for the season if his back fails to improve.
With Ricky Nolasco already done for the year, the Marlins have been stretched to find starters lately. Wild left-hander Andrew Miller recently joined the rotation, and veteran minor leaguer Adalberto Mendez made his major league debut by starting the first game of Sunday’s doubleheader. Mendez was impressive, but he was forced out after six scoreless innings because of a quad injury.
Two other starters, Chris Volstad and Alex Sanabia, will have to serve suspensions later this month because of their roles in last weeks’ brawl with the Nationals.
The Miami Herald reports that Johnson didn’t throw his usual between-starts side session on Tuesday. More will be known about his availability come Wednesday.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)