Sep 7, 2010, 9:25 PM EST
Diamondbacks interim manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Justin Upton was sent for an MRI on his ailing left shoulder this morning.
Upton hasn’t played since tweaking the shoulder during an at-bat in the seventh inning of last Monday’s game against the Padres. Just yesterday, Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that Upton was “not progressing” and “pretty much on the shelf,” so this course of action isn’t entirely surprising. The Diamondbacks open play Tuesday at 56-82 and in last-place in the National League West, so there’s no need to take a chance with one of the organization’s most promising young stars.
Results of the MRI haven’t been made available as of yet, but there is reason for concern here. Upton was held out of some games last season and the early part of his minor league career due to problems with the same shoulder. It’s worth noting that Cole Gillespie was called up from the minors today, so the Diamondbacks are at least prepared for the possibility that he could be shut down for the rest of the season.
Upton, 23, is batting .275/.359/.447 with 17 homers, 68 RBI, 15 stolen bases and an 806 OPS in 488 at-bats with the Diamondbacks this season.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)