Sep 7, 2010, 9:25 PM EST
Diamondbacks interim manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Justin Upton was sent for an MRI on his ailing left shoulder this morning.
Upton hasn’t played since tweaking the shoulder during an at-bat in the seventh inning of last Monday’s game against the Padres. Just yesterday, Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that Upton was “not progressing” and “pretty much on the shelf,” so this course of action isn’t entirely surprising. The Diamondbacks open play Tuesday at 56-82 and in last-place in the National League West, so there’s no need to take a chance with one of the organization’s most promising young stars.
Results of the MRI haven’t been made available as of yet, but there is reason for concern here. Upton was held out of some games last season and the early part of his minor league career due to problems with the same shoulder. It’s worth noting that Cole Gillespie was called up from the minors today, so the Diamondbacks are at least prepared for the possibility that he could be shut down for the rest of the season.
Upton, 23, is batting .275/.359/.447 with 17 homers, 68 RBI, 15 stolen bases and an 806 OPS in 488 at-bats with the Diamondbacks this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)