Sep 7, 2010, 9:25 PM EDT
Diamondbacks interim manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that Justin Upton was sent for an MRI on his ailing left shoulder this morning.
Upton hasn’t played since tweaking the shoulder during an at-bat in the seventh inning of last Monday’s game against the Padres. Just yesterday, Gibson told Steve Gilbert of MLB.com that Upton was “not progressing” and “pretty much on the shelf,” so this course of action isn’t entirely surprising. The Diamondbacks open play Tuesday at 56-82 and in last-place in the National League West, so there’s no need to take a chance with one of the organization’s most promising young stars.
Results of the MRI haven’t been made available as of yet, but there is reason for concern here. Upton was held out of some games last season and the early part of his minor league career due to problems with the same shoulder. It’s worth noting that Cole Gillespie was called up from the minors today, so the Diamondbacks are at least prepared for the possibility that he could be shut down for the rest of the season.
Upton, 23, is batting .275/.359/.447 with 17 homers, 68 RBI, 15 stolen bases and an 806 OPS in 488 at-bats with the Diamondbacks this season.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 9
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 15
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 35
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)