Managerial chaos! Ok, maybe not, but it's fun to consider

Sep 7, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT

FanHouse’s Ed Price has a profile of Cito Gaston today that’s interesting in and of itself, but he ends the piece with a fun little musing about an unlikely but delicious series of managerial moves this winter:

• Joe Torre leaves the Dodgers as they look for ways to cut costs;
  • Dusty Baker, dissatisfied with the contract extension offered by the Reds, going to L.A., where he played eight seasons;
  • Tony La Russa, his contract up with the Cardinals, goes to Cincinnati in a reunion with general manager Walt Jocketty (they were together in Oakland and St. Louis); and
  • Torre goes to the Cards, where he played (1969-74) and managed (1990-95).

Setting aside the fact that the Cardinals, Dodgers and Reds would all likely be worse off with their new iconic manager than they were with their old one, such a scenario would certainly make blogging a hell of a lot easier over the winter and spring. Storylines, baby! Storylines!

1. APBA Guy - Sep 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM

The AL looks like a rock of stability compared to the NL this Winter. Of more interest, though less immediacy, might be the impact of all the new talent coming into the NL on the AL dominance of recent years. Will Strasburg, Heyward, Stanton, et al, bring league parity and when?

2. okobojicat - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Craig, you forgot the craziest story line. Girardi leave NY for the Cubs. Do the Yanks bring back Torre? Do they go after La Russa? Can the Yanks lure Bobby Cox out of retirement? Is Mattingly kicked down AGAIN.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM

What AL Dominance? The NL has won 4 of the last 9 World Series, and the Phillies have been, at worst, the 3rd best team in baseball the last 3 years. And considering they are still spending money, they don’t look to be dropping down anytime in the next 3 years. If they do make the WS, and they play the Yankers, are the Phillies really that much of an underdog?

4. Old Gator - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:19 PM

If Mattingly isn’t kicked down, he will find another banana peel to slip on. See my disquisition on Murphy’s Law in the “Grilling” thread.

5. Old Gator - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM

And of course, what do the Feesh do with The World’s First Puerto Rican Major League Manager this offseason? Do they risk pissing off the FALN by sending him back to the minors with a fancier title, like Manager Without Portfolio? Can Bobby Valentine be lured back by a modest contract and Scrooge McLoria’s promise that he’ll get between Bobby and the Chihuahua if the little thing tries to hump Bobby’s leg? Will Fat Freddi replace Bobby Cox and return to Macondo thirsting for vengeance, a mamey batido and a decent bowl of ajiaco?
    Here’s a great idea: let Don Mattingly manage the Feesh for a year. That’ll get all the slapstick out of his routine and prepare him to manage a real baseball team a year later.

6. expos94champs - Sep 7, 2010 at 12:58 PM

What about Tim Wallach managing the Blue Jays next year ? He has paid his dues in the Dodgers organization and has Mattingly in front of him. Don’t forget that Alex Anthopoulos used to work for the Expos (and is from Montreal) and would know Wallach well.

7. MuskyHunter2542 - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Brewers will be looking as well

8. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Craig, Who do you think will be the next Braves skipper? And who would you like to see, realistically speaking of course. Why do I keep having flashes of Chipper one day soon leading the Braves???

9. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I’m guessing it will be Fredi Gonzalez, but I really don’t know. As for my desire: I don’t want to see Terry Pendelton, but I think he’ll be strongly considered.
    Chipper is a personal favorite, but not for objective baseball reasons (i.e. he has no experience). I just think it would be kind of neat.

10. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Ok, I like Fredi, always have. I like Chipper even more once they tire of Gonzalez though. Maybe it’s me, but he seems like a level headed, smart guy ,and I think he’s been in the game long enough to know how to handle the job. Regardless of his non experience. I think objectively speaking he could be a great manager. I think my line of reasoning is right in line with a whole bunch of Braves fans ,alot like your reasons I guess… I’d love to see him put in place as bench coach for a term, then work his way up. Does anyone dislike Jones? I couldn’t no matter how many times he dinged my Phills. He has the making of a “players manager” imo. Very likable, Kinda like Chuck ,and as we see it can work when done right. Anyway, thanks.

11. Buccofan - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

If LaRussa comes to Cincinnati, I can’t wait to read the spin. For over a decade, he’s been portrayed in the local media as the Anti-Christ of managers, with all his nutty ideas and for his high crime of daring to have the audacity to have his teams regular beat the snot out of the Reds. I’m sure they’ll rave about all his great teams, while failing to note that (IIRC) no manager except for Bobby Cox has lost more series in the post-season.

12. expos94champs - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM

“Does anyone dislike Jones ?” How about an entire nation ?
    Jones blasted Toronto during the World Baseball Classic in 2009.
    “We stayed in Toronto for a week and played three games. I don’t know if you ever stayed in Toronto, but it’s not exactly Las Vegas,” the Braves star told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “To say that we were plucking our eyebrows out one at a time would be an understatement.”
    You can have him.

13. Simon DelMonte - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM

And there will be an opening at Citi Field, I am sure. Which will get too much coverage.

14. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Well look, the guy was married at the time, and everyone knows the only thing to do in Toronto is get hot Canadian Women in the sack. So, “it’s boring” if you aren’t, well you know…. Can you fault the guy for making a simple observation?

15. APBA Guy - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:40 PM

One team does not establish or refute dominance of an entire league. Since 1997, the AL has an 1808-1652 advantage in interleague play, having a 10-4 yearly won-lost record. Over that time period the AL is 12-1-1 in All Star games. When talking about individual teams I have the Phils as the second best team in baseball, behind the Yankees, and with the Phils top three in their rotation they can easily win any short series against any opposition. My point was that this recent AL dominance may be ending with the influx of young talent into the NL. It’s arguable that the top NL pitchers are,as a group, stronger than the top AL pitchers already.

16. Old Gator - Sep 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Of course you like Freddi. You always knew he’d make some sort of stupid move, leave some pitcher in too long, call for a sacrifice bunt when there was nobody on base, whatever. You could just sit back with a horsemeat and velveeta sandwich and a discount beer and wait for the screwup that would hand the Feelies the game. What’s not to like?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3236)