Sep 7, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Unlike the MVPs and other post season awards, no one ever talks smack about the Roberto Clemente award winner as being undeserving. That’s because it goes to the Major Leaguer who “best
exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement
and the individual’s contribution to his team,” and even the worst snark can’t cut through something that positive.
Anyway, the nominees were announced about an hour ago. Each team gets one nominee. The weird part: you can vote on it. I’m not sure how the vast majority of us can ascertain the community involvement of most if any of these guys — quick! Was Geoff Blum or Craig Breslow a bigger asset to his community this year? — but voting makes everything better. The All-Star Game told me so.
OK, I guess you can mock the Clemente Award a little bit. Or at least the process of selecting it.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)