Sep 7, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Unlike the MVPs and other post season awards, no one ever talks smack about the Roberto Clemente award winner as being undeserving. That’s because it goes to the Major Leaguer who “best
exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement
and the individual’s contribution to his team,” and even the worst snark can’t cut through something that positive.
Anyway, the nominees were announced about an hour ago. Each team gets one nominee. The weird part: you can vote on it. I’m not sure how the vast majority of us can ascertain the community involvement of most if any of these guys — quick! Was Geoff Blum or Craig Breslow a bigger asset to his community this year? — but voting makes everything better. The All-Star Game told me so.
OK, I guess you can mock the Clemente Award a little bit. Or at least the process of selecting it.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)