Sep 7, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Scott Olsen tossed four no-hit innings yesterday in his first relief appearance since 2005, but afterward made it very clear that he wants nothing to do with the bullpen long term.
I’d like to start. I don’t want to be a bullpen guy. The biggest difference in not being able to throw 140 feet before I get on the mound. That’s not going to work. I’ve done it. I don’t get on the mound unless I play long toss. That’s the biggest difference. Obviously, I don’t want to be in the bullpen. I’d rather start. That’s not what they want me to do.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post described Olsen as “slumped in a chair in front of his locker” and noted his “glum postgame demeanor.”
Olsen’s reluctance to fill a role he’s basically never filled before is certainly understandable, but he’s at the “beggars can’t be choosers” portion of his career at this point. He’s gone 3-8 with a 5.88 ERA in 15 starts this season and is 23-38 with a 5.22 ERA in 92 starts since his good rookie season for the Marlins in 2006.
Four years, 92 starts, and 516 innings worth of a 5.22 ERA as a starter basically means you no longer have any say over your role. And if anything Olsen should be open to a move to the bullpen because it might extend his career and give him a chance to be something more than a fourth or fifth starter.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)