Sep 7, 2010, 12:32 PM EDT
Hell, they’ve already got Melvin Mora on the team, so why not call up Jay Payton?
Payton, 37, who has spent parts of 13 seasons in the major leagues,
this season has been about making peace with himself and the game after
injuries forced him to miss the 2009 season.
“It’s a good feeling, to get back after all the hard work you’ve
put in, surgeries and stuff,” Payton said. “To get back to the big
leagues, put on a big-league uniform again, it’s something special.”
Payton hit hit .323 with six homers, 74 RBI and 13 stolen bases for Colorado Springs this year. He’ll provide some depth.
No word if Preston Wilson got a contract too.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 5
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (250)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)