Sep 7, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Apparently the down economy and crappy 2010 Cubs team is really taking a bite out of the business of those who operate the rooftop venues outside of Wrigley Field. Many of the businesses are hurting — corporate bookings are way down — and some of the properties have fallen into foreclosure.
The last time I contemplated the rooftop viewing business was back in May when it was reported that the Cubs were going in as partners with one of the operators. At the time I wrote the following:
I wonder if, in this down market, it wouldn’t be a smart play for the
team to try and take over some of those buildings, turning them into
team owned seating. At the very least, you figure that they could use
these tough times to try and muscle a bigger portion of the take out of
It’s all coming together! Indeed, if I was a deranged conspiracy theorist I’d rant about the Cubs tanking the 2010 season in order to effectuate a land grab!
Ha! Just kidding. No baseball owner would doom his team to failure just so he could go after non-baseball economic opportunities. That’s crazy talk!
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)