Sep 7, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Apparently the down economy and crappy 2010 Cubs team is really taking a bite out of the business of those who operate the rooftop venues outside of Wrigley Field. Many of the businesses are hurting — corporate bookings are way down — and some of the properties have fallen into foreclosure.
The last time I contemplated the rooftop viewing business was back in May when it was reported that the Cubs were going in as partners with one of the operators. At the time I wrote the following:
I wonder if, in this down market, it wouldn’t be a smart play for the
team to try and take over some of those buildings, turning them into
team owned seating. At the very least, you figure that they could use
these tough times to try and muscle a bigger portion of the take out of
It’s all coming together! Indeed, if I was a deranged conspiracy theorist I’d rant about the Cubs tanking the 2010 season in order to effectuate a land grab!
Ha! Just kidding. No baseball owner would doom his team to failure just so he could go after non-baseball economic opportunities. That’s crazy talk!
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)