There are still many reasons to watch the Mets

Sep 7, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

I mean reasons that are different than the ones that make you want to look at accident scenes and the “Faces of Death” movies.  James Kannengeiser lists them over at Amazing Avenue today.

My favorite: the spoiler potential, as the Mets have six games left with the Phillies and three with the Braves.  I’m genuinely curious as to who Mets fans would rather see win the division. Or, rather, who they’d rather see lose it. Philly certainly has the greater proximity hate, the more recent late-season history with the Mets and is a more natural municipal rival, broadly speaking, but the Braves have probably inflicted more aggregate pain over the past fifteen years or so.

Tough call.

1. BC - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM

There are a lot of reasons to watch a burning building, too….

2. Mason - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM

“Will his fastball crack 87 mph?” Heee-larious!

3. Simon DelMonte - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I pick the Braves. Two reasons:
    I like Bobby Cox. I like the idea of him going out on top.
    And I just cannot stand the Phils and their fans (HBT regulars excepted). The dislike I used to feel for ATL is dwarfed by the dislike I feel for PHL. (Yes, this is also jealousy. I want the other Manuel and Ruben Amaro badly.)
    Though of course in the likely event of another Yankees visit to the World Series, I do what I did last year and root for whoever makes it from the NL.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

It depends on how many Mets fans can remember the past that exists from over 5 years ago. I’d say, not many. I’d also say the Phillies will get more Haterade from Mets fans because of this. I’m going to enjoy heckling every single Met as he’s getting warm for his at-bats. I’ll be sitting right behind their dugout on the 24th. look for me when a righty comes to plate…. Yes I’m the extremely Handsome guy, okay! No really, I’m actually quite respectful in all honesty.. I’m shocked that Craig will not be making the fairly short trip to Philly when the Braves are in town. Tell the boss Blogging from the game is what we want!!!!!! Just do it. I think the tickets are still avail…. And Craig, Philly will embrace you and your Braves Cap, don’t sweat it.

5. RichardInBigD - Sep 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Sure, Craig, go to Philly and wear your Braves cap. Just don’t bring the kiddos. Some Philly a-hole will puke on them…

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Braves will be fighting for the Wild Card with the Padres by the time they come to Philly.

7. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Everyone I meet there is nice. Eagles games? I don’t bring the kid. Made that mistake already. He was able to add many new words to his vocab after that game. Never again…….

8. turf24 - Sep 7, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Agreed

9. Jonny5 - Sep 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I’m soooo superstitious about calling eggs, chickens. Let them hatch first boys.

10. Benny Blanco - Sep 7, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I’d rather see the Braves win the division. Screw these phillie fans. Jonny5 is ok.

11. Utley's hair - Sep 7, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I’d rather see the Phightins win the division, but I’m a Phils fan, so right back atcha.

12. melodyjbf - Sep 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

That history with the Braves? I just need to conjure up one memory: John Rocker. He exemplified everything I hated about that team when they and the Mets had an actual rivalry thing going. Still can’t bring myself to root for them in any capacity, even if it’s to beat out those bastard Phillies.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5168)