Sep 7, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
Last week Jim Edmonds indicated that he plans to retire after the season and now it sounds like the 40-year-old outfielder may have already played his final game.
Edmonds is on the disabled list with an oblique injury that was originally listed as a strain, but he revealed yesterday that it’s actually a torn muscle:
I’m trying, but I have to let it heal. I don’t really know the timetable right now. The swelling has finally come down, it’s not as bad moving around. It’s coming along. I’ve never really had a muscle tear before. I tried throwing the other day, but I couldn’t. I’ll try again in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
Edmonds hit very well in a part-time role for the Brewers, batting .286/.350/.493 with eight homers and 21 doubles in 240 plate appearances, but played just nine games for the Reds after they acquired him for Chris Dickerson last month.
If he’s indeed finished Edmonds ends his career ranked sixth all time among center fielders with 391 homers, and also ranks eighth in slugging percentage, 10th in OPS, and 11th in RBIs and walks. Toss in eight Gold Glove awards and that seems like a pretty obvious Hall of Fame resume to me–Edmonds is seventh among all center fielders in Wins Above Replacement–but my guess is that he’ll garner little support when it comes time for the writers to actually vote.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)