Sep 7, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Last week Jim Edmonds indicated that he plans to retire after the season and now it sounds like the 40-year-old outfielder may have already played his final game.
Edmonds is on the disabled list with an oblique injury that was originally listed as a strain, but he revealed yesterday that it’s actually a torn muscle:
I’m trying, but I have to let it heal. I don’t really know the timetable right now. The swelling has finally come down, it’s not as bad moving around. It’s coming along. I’ve never really had a muscle tear before. I tried throwing the other day, but I couldn’t. I’ll try again in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
Edmonds hit very well in a part-time role for the Brewers, batting .286/.350/.493 with eight homers and 21 doubles in 240 plate appearances, but played just nine games for the Reds after they acquired him for Chris Dickerson last month.
If he’s indeed finished Edmonds ends his career ranked sixth all time among center fielders with 391 homers, and also ranks eighth in slugging percentage, 10th in OPS, and 11th in RBIs and walks. Toss in eight Gold Glove awards and that seems like a pretty obvious Hall of Fame resume to me–Edmonds is seventh among all center fielders in Wins Above Replacement–but my guess is that he’ll garner little support when it comes time for the writers to actually vote.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)