Sep 7, 2010, 11:47 AM EST
Last week Jim Edmonds indicated that he plans to retire after the season and now it sounds like the 40-year-old outfielder may have already played his final game.
Edmonds is on the disabled list with an oblique injury that was originally listed as a strain, but he revealed yesterday that it’s actually a torn muscle:
I’m trying, but I have to let it heal. I don’t really know the timetable right now. The swelling has finally come down, it’s not as bad moving around. It’s coming along. I’ve never really had a muscle tear before. I tried throwing the other day, but I couldn’t. I’ll try again in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
Edmonds hit very well in a part-time role for the Brewers, batting .286/.350/.493 with eight homers and 21 doubles in 240 plate appearances, but played just nine games for the Reds after they acquired him for Chris Dickerson last month.
If he’s indeed finished Edmonds ends his career ranked sixth all time among center fielders with 391 homers, and also ranks eighth in slugging percentage, 10th in OPS, and 11th in RBIs and walks. Toss in eight Gold Glove awards and that seems like a pretty obvious Hall of Fame resume to me–Edmonds is seventh among all center fielders in Wins Above Replacement–but my guess is that he’ll garner little support when it comes time for the writers to actually vote.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)