Sep 7, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Last week Jim Edmonds indicated that he plans to retire after the season and now it sounds like the 40-year-old outfielder may have already played his final game.
Edmonds is on the disabled list with an oblique injury that was originally listed as a strain, but he revealed yesterday that it’s actually a torn muscle:
I’m trying, but I have to let it heal. I don’t really know the timetable right now. The swelling has finally come down, it’s not as bad moving around. It’s coming along. I’ve never really had a muscle tear before. I tried throwing the other day, but I couldn’t. I’ll try again in the next couple of days and see how it goes.
Edmonds hit very well in a part-time role for the Brewers, batting .286/.350/.493 with eight homers and 21 doubles in 240 plate appearances, but played just nine games for the Reds after they acquired him for Chris Dickerson last month.
If he’s indeed finished Edmonds ends his career ranked sixth all time among center fielders with 391 homers, and also ranks eighth in slugging percentage, 10th in OPS, and 11th in RBIs and walks. Toss in eight Gold Glove awards and that seems like a pretty obvious Hall of Fame resume to me–Edmonds is seventh among all center fielders in Wins Above Replacement–but my guess is that he’ll garner little support when it comes time for the writers to actually vote.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 49
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement