Sep 7, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
Trevor Hoffman pitched a scoreless ninth inning against the Cardinals tonight to pick up his 600th career save in front of the home crowd in Milwaukee.
Hoffman lost the closer job after struggling mightily early this season and his ERA is still north of 6.00, but he’s quietly pitched well for the past few months while picking up the odd save here and there.
After the third out was recorded on a ground ball to 40-year-old shortstop Craig Counsell the Brewers reacted as if Hoffman had thrown a no-hitter, which says a lot about how well-liked he is in the clubhouse. In a postgame interview, he thanked the fans and his teammates for sticking with him.
He may get another save chance or two down the stretch, but it might be nice to end his career with an even number like 600. Mariano Rivera at 555 is the only other pitcher in baseball history with more than 480 saves and no other active pitcher is over 420.
Not bad for a former minor league shortstop who converted to pitching at age 23 because he couldn’t hit and hasn’t cracked 90 miles per hour with his fastball in at least a decade.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (98)