Sep 7, 2010, 11:09 PM EDT
Trevor Hoffman pitched a scoreless ninth inning against the Cardinals tonight to pick up his 600th career save in front of the home crowd in Milwaukee.
Hoffman lost the closer job after struggling mightily early this season and his ERA is still north of 6.00, but he’s quietly pitched well for the past few months while picking up the odd save here and there.
After the third out was recorded on a ground ball to 40-year-old shortstop Craig Counsell the Brewers reacted as if Hoffman had thrown a no-hitter, which says a lot about how well-liked he is in the clubhouse. In a postgame interview, he thanked the fans and his teammates for sticking with him.
He may get another save chance or two down the stretch, but it might be nice to end his career with an even number like 600. Mariano Rivera at 555 is the only other pitcher in baseball history with more than 480 saves and no other active pitcher is over 420.
Not bad for a former minor league shortstop who converted to pitching at age 23 because he couldn’t hit and hasn’t cracked 90 miles per hour with his fastball in at least a decade.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 14
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)