Sep 7, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
There’s something simultaneously uplifting and disturbing about the fact that — based on blog traffic patterns anyway — the vast majority of you read HardballTalk at work.
Uplifting because it stands as evidence that thousands upon thousands of you are not content to kowtow to The Man and limit your online reading to trade publications and stuff that helps build the business that makes his boat payment. Disturbing in that I’m sure a healthy number of you are doctors and engineers and teachers and stuff, and our society rather depends on you staying on task and doing a good job. But hey, if you don’t read about baseball online I don’t eat, so I won’t think about it too much.
Anyway, the point of this is that I know that a great many of you were offline for the holiday yesterday and missed some of the totally boffo licks HBT threw down. Such as:
- Jonathan Papelbon didn’t exactly take ownership of Sunday’s meltdown.
- The Giants have a Rally Thong. Lord help us if Pablo Sandoval starts wearing it.
- It’s going to be funny when Mark Prior is pitching in the big leagues next year and everyone goes to Stephen Strasburg for quotes about the pressure of being a top prospect.
- Yes, Virginia, there were Power Rankings.
- Bill “The Spaceman” Lee gets a win. This is not a repeat from 1969-1982.
- You know what they say about guys with big hands, don’t ya?
- Jayson Werth may soon find himself being described as the best right fielder of all time.
- Tony La Russa tried to defuse the Colby Rasmus thing. La Russa also says it’s not his fault. Because, no, La Russa has never had run-ins with his players.
- Killer Bs! Well, maybe it wasn’t a killer B, but it could definitely have left a nasty gash.
- Oliver Perez says he’s finally ready to pitch. Don’t rush it, Oliver. I’m sure the Mets will wait a little while longer.
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled work week.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)