Sep 7, 2010, 8:22 AM EST
There’s something simultaneously uplifting and disturbing about the fact that — based on blog traffic patterns anyway — the vast majority of you read HardballTalk at work.
Uplifting because it stands as evidence that thousands upon thousands of you are not content to kowtow to The Man and limit your online reading to trade publications and stuff that helps build the business that makes his boat payment. Disturbing in that I’m sure a healthy number of you are doctors and engineers and teachers and stuff, and our society rather depends on you staying on task and doing a good job. But hey, if you don’t read about baseball online I don’t eat, so I won’t think about it too much.
Anyway, the point of this is that I know that a great many of you were offline for the holiday yesterday and missed some of the totally boffo licks HBT threw down. Such as:
- Jonathan Papelbon didn’t exactly take ownership of Sunday’s meltdown.
- The Giants have a Rally Thong. Lord help us if Pablo Sandoval starts wearing it.
- It’s going to be funny when Mark Prior is pitching in the big leagues next year and everyone goes to Stephen Strasburg for quotes about the pressure of being a top prospect.
- Yes, Virginia, there were Power Rankings.
- Bill “The Spaceman” Lee gets a win. This is not a repeat from 1969-1982.
- You know what they say about guys with big hands, don’t ya?
- Jayson Werth may soon find himself being described as the best right fielder of all time.
- Tony La Russa tried to defuse the Colby Rasmus thing. La Russa also says it’s not his fault. Because, no, La Russa has never had run-ins with his players.
- Killer Bs! Well, maybe it wasn’t a killer B, but it could definitely have left a nasty gash.
- Oliver Perez says he’s finally ready to pitch. Don’t rush it, Oliver. I’m sure the Mets will wait a little while longer.
We now return you to your regularly-scheduled work week.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)