Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM EST
I figured that the day would bottom out with Jay Payton transaction news and improve from there, but I guess I was wrong: Kris Benson sighting! He was sighted (figuratively) putting all his stuff in a bag and going back home to be with Anna and do whatever it is they do all winter.
Put differently, the Diamondbacks have shut him down for the season. He had three starts as a Diamondback and they were pretty bad. He had seven starts as a Reno Ace and they were even worse. The man just can’t pitch anymore even if he’s healthy, though in his case “health” is a theoretical construct.
For the sake of his own professional dignity I’d like to say that this is the last we’ll hear of Benson pitching, but I imagine there’s some team who will take a chance on the dude next winter. Then we can repeat our “Benson signs,” “Benson gets called up,” “Benson gets hurt,” “Benson’s season is over” postings all over again.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 3
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)