Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
I figured that the day would bottom out with Jay Payton transaction news and improve from there, but I guess I was wrong: Kris Benson sighting! He was sighted (figuratively) putting all his stuff in a bag and going back home to be with Anna and do whatever it is they do all winter.
Put differently, the Diamondbacks have shut him down for the season. He had three starts as a Diamondback and they were pretty bad. He had seven starts as a Reno Ace and they were even worse. The man just can’t pitch anymore even if he’s healthy, though in his case “health” is a theoretical construct.
For the sake of his own professional dignity I’d like to say that this is the last we’ll hear of Benson pitching, but I imagine there’s some team who will take a chance on the dude next winter. Then we can repeat our “Benson signs,” “Benson gets called up,” “Benson gets hurt,” “Benson’s season is over” postings all over again.
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 0
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 2
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 20
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury