Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
I figured that the day would bottom out with Jay Payton transaction news and improve from there, but I guess I was wrong: Kris Benson sighting! He was sighted (figuratively) putting all his stuff in a bag and going back home to be with Anna and do whatever it is they do all winter.
Put differently, the Diamondbacks have shut him down for the season. He had three starts as a Diamondback and they were pretty bad. He had seven starts as a Reno Ace and they were even worse. The man just can’t pitch anymore even if he’s healthy, though in his case “health” is a theoretical construct.
For the sake of his own professional dignity I’d like to say that this is the last we’ll hear of Benson pitching, but I imagine there’s some team who will take a chance on the dude next winter. Then we can repeat our “Benson signs,” “Benson gets called up,” “Benson gets hurt,” “Benson’s season is over” postings all over again.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 25
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)