Sep 7, 2010, 1:02 PM EDT
I figured that the day would bottom out with Jay Payton transaction news and improve from there, but I guess I was wrong: Kris Benson sighting! He was sighted (figuratively) putting all his stuff in a bag and going back home to be with Anna and do whatever it is they do all winter.
Put differently, the Diamondbacks have shut him down for the season. He had three starts as a Diamondback and they were pretty bad. He had seven starts as a Reno Ace and they were even worse. The man just can’t pitch anymore even if he’s healthy, though in his case “health” is a theoretical construct.
For the sake of his own professional dignity I’d like to say that this is the last we’ll hear of Benson pitching, but I imagine there’s some team who will take a chance on the dude next winter. Then we can repeat our “Benson signs,” “Benson gets called up,” “Benson gets hurt,” “Benson’s season is over” postings all over again.
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 5
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 12
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)