Sep 8, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
When the Phillies reclaimed first place in the NL East last night they do so with Ryan Madson finishing up an 8-7 victory, because closer Brad Lidge was unavailable due to a hyper-extended elbow that’s expected to keep him out until at least Friday.
Lidge had elbow surgery last year and has needed multiple cortisone shots this season, but told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that a few days off will be enough to get him ready for the stretch run because “it’s different from what I’ve had before and it’s really not bad at all.”
Lidge struggled in late July, but has a 0.55 ERA, .125 opponents’ batting average, and 18/3 K/BB ratio in 16.1 innings since August 1, looking an awful lot like the dominant force from 2008 instead of the mess from 2009.
Of course, Madson has also been fantastic during that time and in fact has been one of the best relievers in the league since returning from a broken toe in mid-July. He’s appeared in 34 games since coming off the disabled list, posting a 1.60 ERA, .177 opponents’ batting average, and 45/4 K/BB ratio in 33.2 innings.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)