Sep 8, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
When the Phillies reclaimed first place in the NL East last night they do so with Ryan Madson finishing up an 8-7 victory, because closer Brad Lidge was unavailable due to a hyper-extended elbow that’s expected to keep him out until at least Friday.
Lidge had elbow surgery last year and has needed multiple cortisone shots this season, but told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that a few days off will be enough to get him ready for the stretch run because “it’s different from what I’ve had before and it’s really not bad at all.”
Lidge struggled in late July, but has a 0.55 ERA, .125 opponents’ batting average, and 18/3 K/BB ratio in 16.1 innings since August 1, looking an awful lot like the dominant force from 2008 instead of the mess from 2009.
Of course, Madson has also been fantastic during that time and in fact has been one of the best relievers in the league since returning from a broken toe in mid-July. He’s appeared in 34 games since coming off the disabled list, posting a 1.60 ERA, .177 opponents’ batting average, and 45/4 K/BB ratio in 33.2 innings.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)