Sep 8, 2010, 10:14 PM EDT
The Cardinals got a helping of bad news Wednesday. Kick a team while its down?
According to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, left-handed reliever Trever Miller flew back to St. Louis on Wednesday after complaining of discomfort and was diagnosed with a strained muscle in his throwing arm. Hummel says that Miller will be sidelined for “at least several more days.” Our guess is he won’t return for another two weeks, if not more.
It gets worse. Hummel also reports that third baseman David Freese underwent a procedure to repair ligament damage in his right ankle Wednesday in Vail, Colorado. Freese just had left ankle surgery in August and the combination of the two could hurt his availability for the start of the 2010 season.
Freese, a 27-year-old rookie, posted a solid .296/.361/.404 batting line, four home runs and 36 RBI in 240 at-bats before hitting the disabled list for good on June 29.
Miller, 37, has a 4.02 ERA and 1.21 WHIP over 31.1 innings. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .203/.292/.266 batting line.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)