Sep 8, 2010, 10:14 PM EST
The Cardinals got a helping of bad news Wednesday. Kick a team while its down?
According to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, left-handed reliever Trever Miller flew back to St. Louis on Wednesday after complaining of discomfort and was diagnosed with a strained muscle in his throwing arm. Hummel says that Miller will be sidelined for “at least several more days.” Our guess is he won’t return for another two weeks, if not more.
It gets worse. Hummel also reports that third baseman David Freese underwent a procedure to repair ligament damage in his right ankle Wednesday in Vail, Colorado. Freese just had left ankle surgery in August and the combination of the two could hurt his availability for the start of the 2010 season.
Freese, a 27-year-old rookie, posted a solid .296/.361/.404 batting line, four home runs and 36 RBI in 240 at-bats before hitting the disabled list for good on June 29.
Miller, 37, has a 4.02 ERA and 1.21 WHIP over 31.1 innings. He’s held left-handed hitters to a .203/.292/.266 batting line.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)