Sep 8, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
All of the triple crown talk has been about Joey Votto and Albert Pujols — indeed, until just the other day they were the only two dudes in that triple crown tracker on the ESPN.com baseball front — but Carlos Gonzalez’s claim seems stronger than that of either of those guys at the moment.
Gonzalez was already ahead of Votto and Pujols in the batting title race — and recently surged ahead of would-be spoiler Omar Infante — thanks to his recent tear. Indeed, he’s batting .525 during his 15-game hitting streak. Last night CarGo hit a three-run homer as well, which put him ahead of Votto for first place in RBIs. At the moment he’s three homers shy of Pujols.
Pujols’ shot at it seems really, really long given how far down he is in average (he’s hitting “only” .308 compared to Gonzalez’s .340). Gonzalez is currently hotter than Votto and — more importantly — plays in a much more hitter-friendly ballpark. I don’t think I’d bet the mortgage on Gonzalez hitting three more home runs than Pujols over the season’s final weeks, but if I had to lay odds, I like his chance to win the triple crown better than Votto’s.
And even if he falls short, a late-season surge by both Gonzalez and the Rockies may very well land him the MVP award.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)