Sep 8, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Domonic Brown hasn’t played much for Philadelphia and last night a minor quadriceps injury kept him from making a rare back-to-back start, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies’ minor league player of the year will likely make up for the lost at-bats by playing winter ball.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted to Zolecki that staying at Triple-A until September 1 probably would have been best for Brown’s long-term development, but instead he’s been with the Phillies since July 28 while getting a grand total of just 62 plate appearances, including two starts in the past 26 games.
His development and readiness to step into a bigger role could be crucial with Jayson Werth set to hit the open market as a free agent, with the assumption being that Brown will replace him as the Phillies’ everyday right fielder next season. All of which is why Charlie Manuel’s reluctance to give the left handed-hitting Brown some starts against right-handed pitching in place of Shane Victorino has been puzzling.
Brown hit .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers, 22 doubles, and 17 steals in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A before the call-up, and the 22-year-old who Vin Scully referred to recently as “Daddy Long Legs” ranks as one of the elite prospects in all of baseball.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 41
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 23
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 34
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 78
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 7
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 87
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)