Domonic Brown isn't playing for the Phillies, so he'll likely play winter ball

Sep 8, 2010, 2:18 PM EST

Domonic Brown hasn’t played much for Philadelphia and last night a minor quadriceps injury kept him from making a rare back-to-back start, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies’ minor league player of the year will likely make up for the lost at-bats by playing winter ball.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted to Zolecki that staying at Triple-A until September 1 probably would have been best for Brown’s long-term development, but instead he’s been with the Phillies since July 28 while getting a grand total of just 62 plate appearances, including two starts in the past 26 games.
His development and readiness to step into a bigger role could be crucial with Jayson Werth set to hit the open market as a free agent, with the assumption being that Brown will replace him as the Phillies’ everyday right fielder next season. All of which is why Charlie Manuel’s reluctance to give the left handed-hitting Brown some starts against right-handed pitching in place of Shane Victorino has been puzzling.
Brown hit .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers, 22 doubles, and 17 steals in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A before the call-up, and the 22-year-old who Vin Scully referred to recently as “Daddy Long Legs” ranks as one of the elite prospects in all of baseball.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I despise how the Phillies mishandled Brown since his call-up. He should have been let loose to play alot more. Why was so much respect given to Ibanez/Shane? He could easily have platooned with those two, keeping Werth in everyday in Right, and it would have been much better. Instead he got 16 PAs in 18 games before starting Monday night. Now the dude is done for this year…they should probably just shut him down, because he is NOT a pinch-hitter. Either way, if I had said the Phillies would be in first place come September, you guys would have said I was crazy…wait a second…I did say that. Thank you.

2. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 2:51 PM

” All of which is why Charlie Manuel’s reluctance to give the left handed-hitting Brown some starts against right-handed pitching in place of Shane Victorino has been puzzling.”
    Why is that? Shane does hit from both sides of the plate. And he usually is effective from the lefty side. Brown has shown me that he isn’t really 100% ready ,and he needs some more work on defense. But yeah, he can hit. So can victorino. He’s got 30 stolen bases and caught stealing just 3 too. Are you paying attention Aaron? 61 RBI, and quick as heck. Sure he’s in the high 250′s for era but to change him out for a rookie? naaaa. Dom Brown needs more work. Unless you mean just to give Shane a break? I’d rather see him replace Werth or Ibanez imo. I think the reason Dom brown hasn’t seen enough time is the Phillies have had some huge play makers on the bench all season long, and Brown was brought up just to give the bench guys a break. His service was as a back up to the backups that were playing full time. It was a good thing though, give him a taste before he really gets the callup to the bigs. Next season.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Jonny…I couldn’t disagree with you more. A 3-man platoon of Shane/Raul/Domo would have been fine. With the occasional start in Right for Domo as well to give Werth a blow. There’s no reason at all why Shane/Raul need to be every single day players, and Shane is only batting .286 since coming off the DL on August 12. Shane has played in EVERY SINGLE GAME since coming off the DL…Raul has played every single game except one(and Ben started in his place on Sunday)…this includes a 16 inning game, a 12 inning game, and both halves of a Doubleheader. You mean Shane or Raul couldn’t sit a couple games and let Werth play center and give the kid a couple starts in Left or Right? They kept Domonic Brown on the bench to keep Shane(.257) and Raul(.262) in the lineup. Doesn’t make sense. But like I said…they are where they belong…in first place, so who am I to say?

4. Utley's hair - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Dom’s got a few defensive issues he needs to work out. If this had been a runaway like it may have been had Werth not been the only position starter not to take sick days during the season–mental health days notwithstanding for JDub, that is–Brown may have gotten more playing time. But they just regained the East lead, so defense is just as important as offense. Besides, I’d rather have a more-than-adequate switch-hitting Hawaiian (who is having a career power year, BTW) out there than a guy who only swings one way.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM

If you only count HRs, then Shane only has 3 more. However, I consider SLG % a more reliable show of power, and Shane is DOWN 10 points on his SLG. Not to mention 35 points down in BA and almost 40 points down in OBP. I wish he would stop swinging for the fences and start hitting line drives. He needs to get on base and steal, and not hit home runs. His OBP is a putrid .321 for a speed guy. And every time he pops out on a 2-0 count, I drink a beer. Now I am an alcoholic.

6. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Have you seen Dom Brown #’s with the major league club? .214/.242/.375. I agree people need a day off here and there. I also agree the OF could use rest. I think Ben Fransisco is that guy though at .253/.320/.440 as a pinch hitter and a couple starts. If anyone deserves more of a chance it’s this guy. Sure his defense is not too good, but DB’s isn’t either. Dom has a boatload of potential, but right now I think he’s kinda green. Next season. let’s focus on what is done now and not, shoulda done yesterday. Brown is kinda hurt, probably by lack of use, he still should be shelling pitchers in the minors though. IMO. I’m no great baseball mind either, so take it or leave it.

7. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM

You will see it now that he’s up in the leadoff spot. Where he was placed, and how the phills offense has been limp it was a crappy spot to hit in. Many 2 outs with nobody on base situations for the guy.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM

He’s just not used to how he was handled. With his AAA #’s, he would be fine up here if given the chance. But what do we know…our team is in 1st place. It’s all good. Now if Shane can only lay off those 2-0 high fastballs…..

9. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Ha!! well, i’m hoping being leadoff gets him back to where he was last time he was leading off. Remember that? I think J-roll no longer belongs up there. And I almost want to bite my tongue for saying it too.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I like J-Roll in the leadoff spot, because, as I have argued with the JoPos “stat people”, he is the heart and soul of the Phillies. It’s no coincidence that when he went out, they were 9-3 with him in the lineup, and since he has been back, they are 44-28, making them 53-31 with him in the lineup this year and 27-29 without. He’s their spark, and I like him leading off. Shane can pop out all he wants in the 7 hole ;)

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4821)