Sep 8, 2010, 2:18 PM EST
Domonic Brown hasn’t played much for Philadelphia and last night a minor quadriceps injury kept him from making a rare back-to-back start, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies’ minor league player of the year will likely make up for the lost at-bats by playing winter ball.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted to Zolecki that staying at Triple-A until September 1 probably would have been best for Brown’s long-term development, but instead he’s been with the Phillies since July 28 while getting a grand total of just 62 plate appearances, including two starts in the past 26 games.
His development and readiness to step into a bigger role could be crucial with Jayson Werth set to hit the open market as a free agent, with the assumption being that Brown will replace him as the Phillies’ everyday right fielder next season. All of which is why Charlie Manuel’s reluctance to give the left handed-hitting Brown some starts against right-handed pitching in place of Shane Victorino has been puzzling.
Brown hit .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers, 22 doubles, and 17 steals in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A before the call-up, and the 22-year-old who Vin Scully referred to recently as “Daddy Long Legs” ranks as one of the elite prospects in all of baseball.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)