Sep 8, 2010, 2:18 PM EST
Domonic Brown hasn’t played much for Philadelphia and last night a minor quadriceps injury kept him from making a rare back-to-back start, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the Phillies’ minor league player of the year will likely make up for the lost at-bats by playing winter ball.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. admitted to Zolecki that staying at Triple-A until September 1 probably would have been best for Brown’s long-term development, but instead he’s been with the Phillies since July 28 while getting a grand total of just 62 plate appearances, including two starts in the past 26 games.
His development and readiness to step into a bigger role could be crucial with Jayson Werth set to hit the open market as a free agent, with the assumption being that Brown will replace him as the Phillies’ everyday right fielder next season. All of which is why Charlie Manuel’s reluctance to give the left handed-hitting Brown some starts against right-handed pitching in place of Shane Victorino has been puzzling.
Brown hit .327/.391/.589 with 20 homers, 22 doubles, and 17 steals in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A before the call-up, and the 22-year-old who Vin Scully referred to recently as “Daddy Long Legs” ranks as one of the elite prospects in all of baseball.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)