Sep 8, 2010, 12:46 PM EST
Franklin Gutierrez batted twice in the Mariners’ five-run second inning last night, but then left the game after reportedly hyperventilating in the dugout. Here’s more from Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:
Gutierrez said he was “obviously” frightened because he’d never experienced something like that. He wasn’t sure whether his troubles catching his breath were related to a stomach ailment that knocked him from a pair of games over the weekend.
“I feel better right now,” he said. “We’ll see what happens tomorrow.” The A’s team doctor examined Gutierrez on-site and told the player there didn’t appear to be anything seriously wrong.
I’m not doctor, but the weekend stomach ailment sure seems like the most probable explanation. After all, why would anyone get that worked up over a meaningless early September game between a 55-84 team and a 68-70 team? It’s not like Gutierrez was in a pressure-packed situation, like a junior-high dance or something. Not that I’d know anything about that either.
Also, apparently the whole “breathe-into-a-paper-bag” thing is a myth. Based on my experience, the only cure is to stop going to dances.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)