Sep 8, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez batted twice in the Mariners’ five-run second inning last night, but then left the game after reportedly hyperventilating in the dugout. Here’s more from Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times:
Gutierrez said he was “obviously” frightened because he’d never experienced something like that. He wasn’t sure whether his troubles catching his breath were related to a stomach ailment that knocked him from a pair of games over the weekend.
“I feel better right now,” he said. “We’ll see what happens tomorrow.” The A’s team doctor examined Gutierrez on-site and told the player there didn’t appear to be anything seriously wrong.
I’m not doctor, but the weekend stomach ailment sure seems like the most probable explanation. After all, why would anyone get that worked up over a meaningless early September game between a 55-84 team and a 68-70 team? It’s not like Gutierrez was in a pressure-packed situation, like a junior-high dance or something. Not that I’d know anything about that either.
Also, apparently the whole “breathe-into-a-paper-bag” thing is a myth. Based on my experience, the only cure is to stop going to dances.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 2
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)