Sep 8, 2010, 3:05 PM EST
It’s been a year and a half since Bud Selig said he’d study the, oh, four variable problem that is the Athletics’ stadium and relocation issue. While it wouldn’t take that long for most nations to achieve nuclear capability during that time frame, Selig’s committee is still studying the matter. Can’t be rushed, you know.
The threat for a long time was that if baseball lets the Athletics move to San Jose, the Giants would sue over the violation of their territorial rights. Lew Wolff and the A’s are probably the more aggrieved party by now for having been made to wait so damn long, but I doubt they’ll sue anyone. In fact, maybe they’ll just move and let baseball and the Giants sue them. Not a bad idea!
If they are considering that, they’ve taken a good first step: they’ve hired a ballpark architect. Yeah, I realize the real reason for that is likely so they can have fancy drawings of a a beautiful park when the matter finally makes it to the ballots in San Jose, but I’d like to think that Wolff’s plan B is to just build the damn thing and make everyone try to stop him.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)