Sep 8, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
It’s been a year and a half since Bud Selig said he’d study the, oh, four variable problem that is the Athletics’ stadium and relocation issue. While it wouldn’t take that long for most nations to achieve nuclear capability during that time frame, Selig’s committee is still studying the matter. Can’t be rushed, you know.
The threat for a long time was that if baseball lets the Athletics move to San Jose, the Giants would sue over the violation of their territorial rights. Lew Wolff and the A’s are probably the more aggrieved party by now for having been made to wait so damn long, but I doubt they’ll sue anyone. In fact, maybe they’ll just move and let baseball and the Giants sue them. Not a bad idea!
If they are considering that, they’ve taken a good first step: they’ve hired a ballpark architect. Yeah, I realize the real reason for that is likely so they can have fancy drawings of a a beautiful park when the matter finally makes it to the ballots in San Jose, but I’d like to think that Wolff’s plan B is to just build the damn thing and make everyone try to stop him.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)