I don't think wounded veterans care that Oliver Perez didn't visit them

Sep 8, 2010, 11:01 AM EDT

My guess is that just about every baseball team that visits the Nationals takes a side trip to Walter Reed Hospital to visit wounded vets. My guess is that just about every team has a few guys who don’t make the trip for whatever reason, be it business or personal. My guess, however, is that only the Mets have the combination of (a) touchy players; and (b) muckraking media covering them that turns such a common state of affairs into something newsworthy:

The
event perhaps also offered perspective on the Mets’ relationship with
the three most prominent players who skipped the non-mandatory event -
Carlos Beltran, Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo. All three have had
issues with the Mets recently.

Still, David Wright was disappointed that everyone didn’t go. “You’d
like to see everybody. I don’t think it’s big enough until you get
everybody.”

An alternative argument could be that (a) not every event “offers perspective” on the state of Mets personnel (sometimes things just happen); and (b) that our wounded veterans have already accomplished and suffered enough for our country that they really don’t need to pretend to enjoy spending time with Oliver Perez.

1. BC - Sep 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM

EPIC FAIL. You missed a chance to post that goofy head-shot of Oliver Perez again! That thing cracks me up every time….

2. okobojicat - Sep 8, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Is it a little weird that we would ask Castillo (Dominican Republic), Beltran (Puerto Rico) or Perez (Mexican) to go see Army Vets when they aren’t native to that country? To me, that’s a little odd.
    A lot of Americans are now playing basketball overseas. Would you expect Stephon Marbury to go visit wounded Chinese soldiers?

3. Simon Oliver Lockwood - Sep 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM

There happen to be a lot of Puerto Ricans in the United States Armed Forces — Puerto Rico being a Commonwealth of the United States and all. Your point is well taken regarding Castillo and Perez though.

4. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Odd for them to honor the men wounded while fighting for the country which has given these guys the opportunity in which this one has? I don’t think it’s too much to ask. But then again, it’s their perrogative now isn’t it?

5. Gobias Industries - Sep 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Because Dominican-Americans and Mexican-Americans aren’t allow to serve?

6. Paper Lions - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Well said. Regardless of their national origin, this country is the one providing them with a great opportunity. Visiting kids that were injured while in military service is a pretty small price to pay.

7. Simon DelMonte - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Just imagine if we crossed out any of the above names and wrote in A-Rod.
    Because there is one other team that has the same combination, albeit with a winning record.

8. doctorfunke - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Doesn’t it say right in the article “non-mandatory?”
    That still means “you don’t have to go”, right?

9. Jonny5 - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM

A-rod wouldn’t miss it. There would be nurses to conquer, no? Mirrors to kiss? He can tell of how he survived a scary encounter walking over a land mound the dangerous type too, the 209…. Scary stuff.

10. Dan in Katonah - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Is a visit from Ollie Perez likely to cause more suffering or less? As a Mets fan, I have my answer. Perhaps it was merciful that he did not subject the brave wounded men and women to his presence. But ultimately, this is a complete non-story.

11. matt - Sep 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Its funny. As a phillies fan and outside observer of the Mets and their floundering cancer-ridden clubhouse, if you asked me to pick the players that make the Mets the laughingstock franchise that they are I would have picked those 3 right off the top. When you see a team that seemingly has the talent to compete to some extent but they fail miserably every year you will usually find bad chemistry amongst the players to be the main culprit. These cancerous tumors spread in a clubhouse and take the franchise down with them. Beltran is the worst because he should have the most impact talent wise on that team but he is a negative and miserable human being. At least thats how he comes off to me. He should have stayed in Kansas City with no pressure to perform. As for Ollie, all you have to do is read his recent quotes or observe his actions to see what a tumor he is. He refuses to go to the minors and work his game out after stealing a 3 year $12 mil/per contract and then failing miserably. Then you hear about how his teammates dont want him around. Talk about the pefect example of why the Mets are the joke of baseball. Then another underperforming stiff in Castillo complains when his playing time is cut. The mets need to cut ties with these 3 losers as fast as they can, although as a phillies fan I hope they sign them up for another 5 years.

12. Giant Space Ants - Sep 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Carlos Beltran is a “miserable human being”? Whatever…I’m normally not the type to make unfair judgements on people I don’t know and have never met (that seems to be your thing), but I can think it’s ok for me to say you’re a jackass. At least that’s how you come off to me.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3301)