Sep 8, 2010, 1:19 PM EDT
Marco Scutaro was signed to be the Red Sox’s shortstop and started each of his first 130 games there, but moved to second base last night in an effort to stay in the lineup despite what Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports is a partially torn rotator cuff.
For now the Red Sox are calling it simply “inflammation of a long-standing rotator cuff injury” and a source told Abraham that Scutaro likely will not require surgery. For now though Jed Lowrie started at shortstop, with Scutaro moving across the diamond to a position he has played 238 times previously in his career.
Scutaro indicated that doctors have told him the injury won’t get any worse by staying in the lineup, but added that “playing second makes it a little easier for me.” He’s owed $5 million for next season, with a $6 million team option, $3 million player option, or $1.5 million buyout for 2012, so assuming Dustin Pedroia’s foot injury heals as expected the Red Sox will need Scutaro’s shoulder at something resembling full strength next year.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)