Sep 8, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Omar Minaya is likely to be “reassigned” this year. Which is a way of firing him without really firing him, seeing as though he still has a year on his contract. Minaya came up through scouting and is said to both enjoy it and have a good eye for it, so maybe he’ll be some sort of Scout Emeritus or something.
Heyman drops Kevin Towers’ name as a replacement but thinks assistant GM John Ricco is more likely. I tend to agree. Towers doesn’t want any part of a dysfunctional ownership group, which is what the Mets are. Ricco is far more beholden to the Wilpons and would likely do exactly what they want. Which is how they seem to like it.
Heyman also notes that Bob Melvin is no longer considered to be the front runner for the Mets managerial job. Hard to say if he ever truly was — Heyman had been the only one reporting that, and had been for a long time — but now he says that’s no longer operative. In his defense it made sense in that the Wilpons brought him in as a vague advisor that looked more like a manager-in-waiting gig than anything else. Heyman says that Wally Backman is a distinct possibility.
If the Mets follow form, they’ll see what the newspapers and talk radio says about all of this before they make their decision.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)