Sep 8, 2010, 4:58 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that Omar Minaya is likely to be “reassigned” this year. Which is a way of firing him without really firing him, seeing as though he still has a year on his contract. Minaya came up through scouting and is said to both enjoy it and have a good eye for it, so maybe he’ll be some sort of Scout Emeritus or something.
Heyman drops Kevin Towers’ name as a replacement but thinks assistant GM John Ricco is more likely. I tend to agree. Towers doesn’t want any part of a dysfunctional ownership group, which is what the Mets are. Ricco is far more beholden to the Wilpons and would likely do exactly what they want. Which is how they seem to like it.
Heyman also notes that Bob Melvin is no longer considered to be the front runner for the Mets managerial job. Hard to say if he ever truly was — Heyman had been the only one reporting that, and had been for a long time — but now he says that’s no longer operative. In his defense it made sense in that the Wilpons brought him in as a vague advisor that looked more like a manager-in-waiting gig than anything else. Heyman says that Wally Backman is a distinct possibility.
If the Mets follow form, they’ll see what the newspapers and talk radio says about all of this before they make their decision.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)