Sep 8, 2010, 4:58 PM EST
Jon Heyman reports that Omar Minaya is likely to be “reassigned” this year. Which is a way of firing him without really firing him, seeing as though he still has a year on his contract. Minaya came up through scouting and is said to both enjoy it and have a good eye for it, so maybe he’ll be some sort of Scout Emeritus or something.
Heyman drops Kevin Towers’ name as a replacement but thinks assistant GM John Ricco is more likely. I tend to agree. Towers doesn’t want any part of a dysfunctional ownership group, which is what the Mets are. Ricco is far more beholden to the Wilpons and would likely do exactly what they want. Which is how they seem to like it.
Heyman also notes that Bob Melvin is no longer considered to be the front runner for the Mets managerial job. Hard to say if he ever truly was — Heyman had been the only one reporting that, and had been for a long time — but now he says that’s no longer operative. In his defense it made sense in that the Wilpons brought him in as a vague advisor that looked more like a manager-in-waiting gig than anything else. Heyman says that Wally Backman is a distinct possibility.
If the Mets follow form, they’ll see what the newspapers and talk radio says about all of this before they make their decision.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (306)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)