Poll: Should Jim Edmonds be in the Hall of Fame?

Sep 8, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT

I’ve written a couple posts recently suggesting that Jim Edmonds is a) deserving of a spot in the Hall of Fame, and b) unlikely to actually garner much support from voters.
He’s an eight-time Gold Glove winner who ranks sixth all time in homers by a center fielder and is seventh in Wins Above Replacement for the position. So, the question isn’t whether or not the voters will actually put him in, but rather is Edmonds deserving of Cooperstown.
What say you?

1. jdmcmil - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Really? Worst post I have read so far. Him and Jose Rijo can maybe get on the verterans committee ballot.

2. BC - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I don’t think he gets in. He probably should, but I don’t think he will.
    Todd Helton is probably in the same boat. Jeff Bagwell too.

3. Paper Lions - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM

A top 10 all-time CF shouldn’t be in the HOF?

4. Bill@TDS - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I’ll assume that all the “No” votes are misreading the question as “Is there any remotely reasonable argument against putting Jim Edmonds in the Hall of Fame?”

5. Dasher521 - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM

A very good player. But the HoF isn’t for the very good. It is for the best of the best.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM

I don’t think he is a hall of famer. He has less than 2,000 hits, less than 400 HRs and a career BA of .284. Yeah, he’s an 8-time gold glove winner, but from what I was told by the “stat people”, Ken Griffey Jr. was just an average Center Fielder and he won 10 gold gloves. The #1 biggest thing he has going for him is being 63rd all-time in WAR. if you give alot of credence to that stat, in your mind, he’s in. If you think it is a B.S. stat, he’s not in.

7. CYGNUS X-1 - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM

just because he dove after every ball whether he had to or not to get on sports center does not make him a hall of famer.if he gets in why not george foster?he was the last “clean” hitter to hit 50 homers and was a 2 time mvp. how many of those did edmonds win?

8. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Baseball Reference stats…he’s close, but I agree with them that it’s no cigar for Edmonds.
    Gray Ink Batting – 60 (416), Average HOFer ≈ 144
    Hall of Fame Monitor Batting – 88 (187), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
    Hall of Fame Standards Batting – 39 (165), Average HOFer ≈ 50

9. Bill@TDS - Sep 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Eating too much butter (see e.g. both Fielders) makes a hitter not “clean”? Also, Foster was a one-time MVP. Also, Edmonds was a much, much, MUCH better player than George Foster was. Can George Foster say that?

10. scatterbrian - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Batting average is a BS stat…

11. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Awesome!!!

12. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I agree that Foster is not really a great example…he had some great years, but didn’t have the consistency of Edmonds. Foster didn’t have any numbers as good as Edmonds, and he wasn’t a third the fielder that Edmonds was/is. That being said, Edmonds isn’t in the Hall of Fame in my opinion. But it is a good debate and a close one. Put it this way…if Andre Dawson and his .323 lifetime OBP is in, then how can one really complain if Edmonds gets in? I wouldn’t vote for him, but it wouldn’t be as big a deal as Dawson getting in.

13. scatterbrian - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:20 PM

For someone who shits on stats so much, you certainly include a lot of numbers in your comments…

14. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I shit on “stat people”, not “stats”.

15. scatterbrian - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM

You quote stats. You use stats to make your points. What makes not a stat person?

16. RichardInBigD - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Have you LOOKED at his career numbers? There is certainly nothing there to be ashamed of, bot HOF? Not even close!

17. The Ol Goaler - Sep 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Should Jimmy Ballgame get in the Hall? Well, as a long-time Cards’ fan, I voted “yes” in the poll… I’ll leave the statistical arguments (both pro and con) to those better equipped than I am at them. Will he get in? I doubt it; this (non-scientific, non-BBWAA) poll had him at 51%, which is a far cry from the 75% needed for election.
    Heck, Curt Freakin’ Flood was among the best defensive CFs (non-Willie Mays division) I’ve ever seen, and deserves to be in the HoF for challenging the reserve clause when no one else would; but I ain’t holdin’ my breath on that selection, either!

18. MuskyHunter2542 - Sep 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM

He is a great person!!! He belongs in the “nice guy” hall of fame. But Cooperstown, im not to sure of

19. Bill@TDS - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

He’s easily one of the top ten ever to play his position. Shouldn’t that generally be good enough?

20. Reflex - Sep 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM

In my opinion a player can only be compared against thier position. I do not feel Jim Edmonds as a hitter qualifies for the HOF. Jim Edmonds as a Center Fielder however should make it in easily. As pointed out, few CF’s are in his league offensively or defensively, and he also passes the character test so far as I have ever been aware.

21. Paper Lions - Sep 8, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Defensive value counts too, right?
    As an overall player, Edmonds >>> Dawson and >> Rice. I realize those were heatedly debated selections, but overall Edmonds was much more valuable than either of those players.

22. Peter - Sep 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

He belongs in the “Hall of Very, Very Good” alongside Mike Mussina and Harold Baines

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4904)