Quote of the Day II: Colin Cowherd wants you to hate him

Sep 8, 2010, 5:58 PM EDT

Colin Cowherd provides some simple advice about how to become a big wheel sports broadcaster.

“I always tell young broadcasters, ‘You want to matter? Then get hate
mail.’ If you get hate mail, it means you’re cutting through. It means
you’re pissing people off. It means you sound different. So I’ve always
had my own style, which is brutal honesty. I’ve never spent too much
time worrying about hurt feelings.”

Colin Cowherd, explaining his theory behind becoming a sports media God.

That ain’t how Vin Scully did it.  But even if young sportscasters don’t aspire to Scullian heights, the least they can do, I think, is to approach issues in a reasonable matter and try their best to explain them to and discuss them fans in a manner that it both entertaining and enlightening.

But maybe that’s crazy talk. Maybe you’re better off taking positions that are devoid of thought and which are calculated simply to piss people off.  There’s good ratings in that stuff.

For my part I always come back to my favorite Kurt Vonnegut quote: “We are who we pretend to be. So be careful what you pretend to be.”

1. JimmyY - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Pissing people off just because you sound different is no reason for people to listen. Makes me turn the dial is all. I don’t have time for his whining and belittling of people because he puts himself on a pedestal and thinks he’s better. I love it when media types get put in their place by ‘real’ experts in their field rather than blow-hards who think they know it all.

2. Spudchukar - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:23 PM

All heat and no light.

3. Utley's hair - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:29 PM

A graduate of the Howard Eskin school of whatever-the-hell-he-does, I see.

4. scatterbrian - Sep 8, 2010 at 6:41 PM

That quote is precisely why I haven’t dipped my toes into the Herd in about three years…

5. tbs - Sep 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Colin wants you to hate him, but he’s so thin-skinned he’ll talk about it for 20 minutes on his morning rant.
    That’s why I enjoy the Herd. Colin can go on a rant, you can switch stations and return 20 minutes later and he’s still beating the same dead topic into the ground.

6. minnesconsin_ad - Sep 8, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Craig, I always knew I liked you. After the Vonnegut quote, I kind of love you, a little.

7. Florioisanidiot1 - Sep 8, 2010 at 8:21 PM

lol hell will freeze over before Cowturd is ever a “sports media god”.

8. Paper Lions - Sep 8, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Brutal ignorance is a better description of Cowherd’s “style”.

9. fordprefect - Sep 8, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Craig, why did you get suckered into giving this troll even MORE publicity?

10. matt - Sep 8, 2010 at 8:49 PM

I never heard of the guy before last year then I was home for a few days and caught the airing of his radio show on TV. At first he seemed pretty cool then I noticed how whenever he spoke of the everyday fans he always was insulting and belittleing. He would use voices when pretetnding to be an average fan speaking and he would talk about blue collar workers like they were the scum of the world. It was about the 3rd day when it just hit me that this guy is just an elitist. Here’s a guy sitting there in a t-shirt talking sports who happened to catch some breaks and hit it big and now he’s better than the rest of the world and if you dont make a certain amount of money in life than you are just common white trash in his eyes. Take notice of the nicknames he will give fans in different cities when he’s talking about them. It will always be something like “johnny-plumber” or “tommy-dockworker”. He combines this with using a dumbed-down voice for effect when pretending to be one of these fans speaking on a topic.Thats simple code for “the everyday guy who works for a living is human trash”. The first time he did it I thought it was funny but when he did it day after day I realized it wasnt a joke. He’s just a pretentious snob hiding behind the down to earth sportsguy routine. I haven’t listened to him since.

11. Buccofan - Sep 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM

A day without Cowturd is–better than a day with. Some advice for him/it–If you’re going to treat people as if they’re ignorant slobs, it helps if you know something yourself.

12. Shawon-O-Meter - Sep 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM

what matt said

13. RedsDouche - Sep 9, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Yeah he knows absolutely squat about most small/mid market teams. All he knows (and I use the term “knows” loosely) is NY, LA, Philly and maybe Chi town. He acts like he knows the rest and talks out of his a$$. This guy is a joke. A guy here at work loves this guy but ironically, they’re both arrogant a$$es who think they know everything about everything. So they fit well together. Anyone think he looks like the crypt keeper in that pic?

14. BC - Sep 9, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Ever since WFAN started this whole thing and introduced us to “Mad Dog” Russo, it’s been this way ever since. Even on TV now. It’s like the Howard Stern mentality – shock people and they’ll listen, just to see what you say or do next.
    I listen to the Herd when I can, for precisely that reason.

15. tbliggins - Sep 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Never heard of the guy until he stole a bit from a Michigan blogger in the wake of Vince Young’s epic wonderlic test a few years ago and then ripped on him when he simply asked for attribution. That pretty much sums him up.

16. James - Sep 9, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I don’t get the whole bash on Colin Cowherd thing. I have a two hour commute every morning and I listen to him every day for two reasons: the guy is calm and he isn’t myopic. Every other sports talk radio I can find is a bunch of screamers who only talk about the local teams that suck and can’t understand why they suck.
    The last thing I want to do is sit in traffic and be yelled at about the Clippers with bad sound effects going off in the background.
    And that died in the wool fan who refuses to acknowledge their local small market team hasn’t been relevant for twenty years and is still willing to argue with you that the team matters to their league is the real target of his disdain. It isn’t the average blue collar worker that Colin has it out for, it’s the person who can’t see the forest for the trees.
    I also enjoy his quiet honesty about the markets that mean ratings for his national show. The guy will bring out the ratings book and tell you how important NY, LA, Chicago and Dallas are to his numbers. He tells you very honestly that when he talks Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Cowboys that his ratings literally go up. It isn’t that he has anything against The Royals per se, it’s that people start changing the channel.
    And yeah, I do agree he tends to go on and on about a subject, and I can go listen to NPR for 20 min and I do come back and he’ll be taking about the same thing. But to be honest, the segment that drves me away on a daily basis and makes me not want to listen to him at all is when he takes phone calls from his listeners. That’s when you truly get to hear what ‘tommy dockworker’ has to say. And then he’s no better than the other local guy who lets people yell at me about the Clippers while I sit trapped in my car.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2563)