Sep 8, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Lawyers for Brian McNamee and Roger Clemens did battle in New York this morning, arguing the motion Clemens filed to have Brian McNamee’s civil suit against him dismissed. The gist of the legal argument was whether saying someone else is a liar can be defamatory. Given that each of them have been calling the other one a liar for the past two and a half years, you’d think they’d know that by now, but that’s just not how the legal system works, sadly.
My favorite part is that Clemens is arguing that a New York court doesn’t have jurisdiction over him despite the fact that the Yankees still pay him deferred compensation and that the business relationship between Clemens and McNamee which gave rise to all of this was largely a New York affair. Again, I realize that isn’t everything when it comes to jurisdiction, but I’d bet a zillion dollars that Clemens would have run to a New York court when he filed his defamation suit if he thought doing so would have provided him a tactical advantage.
I realize that this is a lot of nothing, but you have to allow me this. With everyone having a gag order on them during the criminal trial, I won’t get to have any Roger Clemens fun for months.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)