Sep 8, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Lawyers for Brian McNamee and Roger Clemens did battle in New York this morning, arguing the motion Clemens filed to have Brian McNamee’s civil suit against him dismissed. The gist of the legal argument was whether saying someone else is a liar can be defamatory. Given that each of them have been calling the other one a liar for the past two and a half years, you’d think they’d know that by now, but that’s just not how the legal system works, sadly.
My favorite part is that Clemens is arguing that a New York court doesn’t have jurisdiction over him despite the fact that the Yankees still pay him deferred compensation and that the business relationship between Clemens and McNamee which gave rise to all of this was largely a New York affair. Again, I realize that isn’t everything when it comes to jurisdiction, but I’d bet a zillion dollars that Clemens would have run to a New York court when he filed his defamation suit if he thought doing so would have provided him a tactical advantage.
I realize that this is a lot of nothing, but you have to allow me this. With everyone having a gag order on them during the criminal trial, I won’t get to have any Roger Clemens fun for months.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)