Sep 8, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
Lawyers for Brian McNamee and Roger Clemens did battle in New York this morning, arguing the motion Clemens filed to have Brian McNamee’s civil suit against him dismissed. The gist of the legal argument was whether saying someone else is a liar can be defamatory. Given that each of them have been calling the other one a liar for the past two and a half years, you’d think they’d know that by now, but that’s just not how the legal system works, sadly.
My favorite part is that Clemens is arguing that a New York court doesn’t have jurisdiction over him despite the fact that the Yankees still pay him deferred compensation and that the business relationship between Clemens and McNamee which gave rise to all of this was largely a New York affair. Again, I realize that isn’t everything when it comes to jurisdiction, but I’d bet a zillion dollars that Clemens would have run to a New York court when he filed his defamation suit if he thought doing so would have provided him a tactical advantage.
I realize that this is a lot of nothing, but you have to allow me this. With everyone having a gag order on them during the criminal trial, I won’t get to have any Roger Clemens fun for months.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)