Sep 8, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
Lawyers for Brian McNamee and Roger Clemens did battle in New York this morning, arguing the motion Clemens filed to have Brian McNamee’s civil suit against him dismissed. The gist of the legal argument was whether saying someone else is a liar can be defamatory. Given that each of them have been calling the other one a liar for the past two and a half years, you’d think they’d know that by now, but that’s just not how the legal system works, sadly.
My favorite part is that Clemens is arguing that a New York court doesn’t have jurisdiction over him despite the fact that the Yankees still pay him deferred compensation and that the business relationship between Clemens and McNamee which gave rise to all of this was largely a New York affair. Again, I realize that isn’t everything when it comes to jurisdiction, but I’d bet a zillion dollars that Clemens would have run to a New York court when he filed his defamation suit if he thought doing so would have provided him a tactical advantage.
I realize that this is a lot of nothing, but you have to allow me this. With everyone having a gag order on them during the criminal trial, I won’t get to have any Roger Clemens fun for months.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)