Victor Martinez won't be accepting that two-year deal from the Red Sox

Sep 8, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT

Last week we learned that the Red Sox have offered Victor Martinez a two-year deal. Yesterday Martinez told WEEI’s Rob Bradford that two years isn’t going to get the job done:

“They’re trying to
do one thing, and we’ll see what happens. I don’t really have to do it.
They came with something, and that might just be where the negotiations
start, but I don’t see myself signing a two-year deal. I’m young
enough. I work so hard and I give it all. I just want to be treated
fair.”

He’s mostly zen about it all, saying that he didn’t even expect an offer during the season, so I don’t read this as Martinez being insulted or anything. But it does seem clear that if the Sox suspected that Martinez felt insecure and willing to jump at an early offer they were quite mistaken.

1. WellNow - Sep 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM

They need Martinez much more than they need Ortiz.

2. Xpensive Wino - Sep 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM

He’s brutal defensively, not a true power hitter and is fairly injury prone.
    The Red Sox need to move away from these non-athletic, one-dimensional type players.
    Let him go and spend the money more wisely.

3. GP - Sep 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM

You’re right. Who would want a guy that can play multiple positions and hit from either side of the plate with moderate power? Oh right, just about anybody.

4. Paper Lions - Sep 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM

If a guy thinks he is “young enough”, if he “work[s] so hard”, and if he “give[s] it all”….why is he afraid of a two year deal? Perhaps he isn’t as confident that he’ll maintain his production level as he thinks he is….GMs are starting to learn that multi-year deals for guys on the wrong side of 30 almost always end badly (and some start that way).

5. JBerardi - Sep 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM

They don’t give out World Series rings for payroll efficiency. Who are they going to give the money to, among the 2010 free agent class, that replaces Martinez? Sometimes you have to sign a bad contract to maximize the team’s overall talent level (there’s this team called the Yankees you may have heard about, they’ve had some success with this strategy). I mean, the Red Sox are paying Mike Lowell and Julio Lugo something like $20m this year, and how badly is that hurting them? They can afford a few bad contracts later if it keeps the team in contention over the next few years. Martinez and Beltre are those bad contracts.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3401)